Sign in to follow this  

yz 250 question

ok im sure its been asked but i couldnt find it. what is the squish, how do you measure it? is it basically getting your head shaved a certain amount.

Also im looking for a pipe spacer i have a 06 yz 250 with sst pipe and shorty silencer im looking for more of a hit out of my bike. something to pull out of corners harder. if anyone knows where to order or has instructions on how exactly to make a spacer thatd be great.

sorry to bring up a subject thats stickyed but there is no directions on how to do it or what the squish is just measurments.

The squish is the actual measurement, reducing your squish refers to shaving the head.

I know the thread in the FAQ is quite long but it really does have a lot of answers in it, it just takes a long time to actually read through it. If you read about the first half of the thread you should be able to answer all your own questions and then some on what the squish is and how to manipulate for your riding style.

From memory too RB Designs has a web page on squish etc which you may find easier to read

Here you go my good man

http://www.rb-designs.com/squish-band-test.htm

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=771760

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=573021

All are awesome threads. Now you can also see some reviews of how people liked the RB designs head and carb mod.

heres the yamaha 2 stroke FAQ thread. http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=961511

I think these three links should answer your question

thanks and god bless

Alex

Also im looking for a pipe spacer i have a 06 yz 250 with sst pipe and shorty silencer im looking for more of a hit out of my bike. something to pull out of corners harder. if anyone knows where to order or has instructions on how exactly to make a spacer thatd be great.

If you want more hit and more pull out of corners you should get rid of that SST pipe. The SST smooths out the power. I had the FMF shorty + SST combo and I didn't like it.

The stock pipe and the Pro Circuit give a really good power curve. Both kick the crap out of the SST and are way easier to jet properly.

The DEP is really popular but I haven't tried one. From what I've read and the dyno charts I've seen, the DEP is more of a mid top pipe vs the PC.

The FMF Fatty is also a mid/top pipe compared to the stocker and PC.

Any of those (Stock, PC, Fatty, DEP) will pretty much kick the crap out of the SST. The SST works on some bikes, but I think it's a step backward on the modern YZ250.

I run a SST pipe right now and I have to admit I like it. I run a Vortex ignition box too but there is still snap, maybe a lit less. On the other hand the engine won´t sign off as early as the stock pipe.

You have to run the bike strictly on the pipe to like it IMO.

Get rid of that sst... bad choice of pipe IMHO. I think your symptoms will go away with just about any other pipe choice.

Also get your squish squared away and your bike will pull smoother, harder, and more efficiently everywhere.

i want a stock pipe but i cant find one and i read through all the stuff on the FAQ n couldnt find my answer wich is why i asked. but i just wanted to know what the squish is exactly. does anyone have a stock pipe for cheap?

Sorry but mine is in use... I switch them for different track I frequent. Some perform better than others at certain tracks in certain condition. Keep an eye on ebay, I see used stockers on there all the time. Keep in mind at any of the new yz pipes will fit your bike so your not only limited to the 06 pipe, but Ive heard the 06 had better characteristics.