Sign in to follow this  

Best gear oil for longevity? 06 RM250

Still haven't taken out my new 06 (dealing with an illness since April) but was reading about how the RM gear boxes seem to crap-out prematurely. What gear oil weight works well to keep the RM's transmission going for a while? I have a bunch of Motul 10w30 so I was thinking of using that (since the manual call for 10w30) but wanted some other opinions, thanks.

170916-motul_transoil_10w_30.jpg

i like rotella 30w, seems to keep its viscosity better than multigrade oil, and thats in my yz

I use the high priced motorcycle specific gear oils, but if I had to buy my oil I would use the Zook 10w40... Good stuff :lol:

Regardless of which one you choose if you are hard on this tranny and don't split the cases on a regular basis for inspection you will be fixing it.

I am currently trying 10W40 full synthetic motorcycle oil. Seems to shift a little easier.

Valvoline 10w40 motorcycle oil. Used in every RM I have owned with no tranny or clutch issues. Witchbrew and synthetics sound great, but not ideal IMO. Suzuki engineered the bike and set parrameters to follow. Valvoline motorcycle oil is only 4 bucks a quart at Autozone and meets all Suzuki's recomendations.

I am currently trying 10W40 full synthetic motorcycle oil. Seems to shift a little easier.

never ever go from semi to full synthetic without splitting the cases and clean everything

it's more dangerous on a 4stroke

full syn cleans your engine, on a 4 stroke it can cause the oil pump to seize up with filth!

never ever go from semi to full synthetic without splitting the cases and clean everything

full syn cleans your engine, on a 4 stroke it can cause the oil pump to seize up with filth!

Thats just plain crazy talk :lol:

You must be thinking of that car commercial with all that sludge build up. I doubt a bike could run that long to build up that much sludge.

Thats just plain crazy talk :)

i personnaly have seen plenty cars with broken oil pumps because of the full synt oil... and i hope you know what a broken oil pump does to a motor :lol:

on a 2stroke the dirt cant do much damage, but on a 4stroke..

hey it's your bike, do what you want, dont go crying afterwards

it's the same with cheap clutch plates for a 4 stroke, they let go a lot of small dirt, no prob for a 2stroker, but i know someone who had has 4 seize ups till they found out it was the clutch plates dirt filling up the oil pump :banghead:

i personnaly have seen plenty cars with broken oil pumps because of the full synt oil... and i hope you know what a broken oil pump does to a motor :lol:

on a 2stroke the dirt cant do much damage, but on a 4stroke..

hey it's your bike, do what you want, dont go crying afterwards

it's the same with cheap clutch plates for a 4 stroke, they let go a lot of small dirt, no prob for a 2stroker, but i know someone who had has 4 seize ups till they found out it was the clutch plates dirt filling up the oil pump :)

unless you have a honda or KTM with separate motor and trans oil.

What goes/wears out on the trans?

it seems to be the dogs on the final drive 3rd gear

I think frequent service is more important than type or brand of oil. Bike just wants clean oil

Me personally, I run rotella 15w-40. Changed every ride.....

i run bellray Gear Saver 80wt never had a tranny problem in the 4 bikes ive owned....i suggest to buy a magnetic drain plug to

I think frequent service is more important than type or brand of oil. Bike just wants clean oil

Me personally, I run rotella 15w-40. Changed every ride.....

exactly! whatever you run, change it often (1-2 rides) and youll be good!