Sign in to follow this  

if you have an 08 and up rmz450 check this out

i was going over my bike this week just doing routine maintenance and found that the air temp sensor was broken. im not to sure how crucial this is but the bike still ran perfect. i am still very happy that i found this because i dont know if it went to ground what could have happened. since i found this i just wanted to share it with everyone on here that has the 08 and up 450 so they can check there bikes out.

heres what i found:

IMG_0892.jpg

IMG_0893.jpg

IMG_0894.jpg

IMG_0898.jpg

IMG_0895.jpg

hope this doesnt happen to anyone else but if it does then i hope it prevents something from happening to anyone riding.

Yep=bike will still run and you may never know it. The IAP (intake air pressure sensor) goes to a "default" of 795mmHg if it fails. The TPS (throttle postion sensor) fails,it will go to a "closed throttle setting"-probably idle but thats about it. ECT (engine coolant sensor) defaults to 176 deg F if it breaks or shorts. IAT(intake air temp sensor) defaults to 50 deg F if it fails-like in your pic. Gear postion sensor-if it fails it will use a first gear map setting regardless or rpm or gear shift. There is also a tach sensor at the stator. If you get these 2 parts:36380-28H00 FI indicator

363890-28H00-Battery lead wire

you can do a quick diagnostic and find anything that is wrong. Pretty much like the CRF indicator light.

Its not a bad idea to have a TPS,IAP or TP sensor handy or find an easy source for them. Everything else lasts pretty good on the bike as for sensors. I have 2 dealers fairly close to me that stock all the parts,so I never worry,but they are expensive.If you have the manual,it has all the info in it. The owners manual is excellent for the RMZ.

• Like 1

Yep=bike will still run and you may never know it. The IAP (intake air pressure sensor) goes to a "default" of 795mmHg if it fails. The TPS (throttle postion sensor) fails,it will go to a "closed throttle setting"-probably idle but thats about it. ECT (engine coolant sensor) defaults to 176 deg F if it breaks or shorts. IAT(intake air temp sensor) defaults to 50 deg F if it fails-like in your pic. Gear postion sensor-if it fails it will use a first gear map setting regardless or rpm or gear shift. There is also a tach sensor at the stator. If you get these 2 parts:36380-28H00 FI indicator

363890-28H00-Battery lead wire

you can do a quick diagnostic and find anything that is wrong. Pretty much like the CRF indicator light.

Its not a bad idea to have a TPS,IAP or TP sensor handy or find an easy source for them. Everything else lasts pretty good on the bike as for sensors. I have 2 dealers fairly close to me that stock all the parts,so I never worry,but they are expensive.If you have the manual,it has all the info in it. The owners manual is excellent for the RMZ.

awesome info, is this given in the manual? very cool that they made the values default in the ECU instead of letting false readings come in...

Yes-it is all in the manual. The problem with the "default settings" is that the bike does still run,but improperly (since the default is just a "safe setting") so the bike will run. Only way to make sure your bike is running properly is to run a diagnostic test or check the sensors with a meter. Manual lists all the values/test for each component.

Eeeekkk MAN now you make me want to tear down mine and see if there is any issues!!!

I think I Might just have. If I send the suspension off to someone else for a new revalve I will have nothing but time to do it.

Same thing happened to me. I was able to seperate the green "weather proof" rubber plug, but I'm lost on how to remove the wires from the plastic plug. Is there a special tool that does this, or does Suzuki make a pigtail I can buy? I contacted my local dealer and they didnt seem like they knew what they were doing either.

you should be able to just push them out from the connector. you could just cut it and put male and female disconnects on it.