Sign in to follow this  

How do you guys gear your pits?& what wheel size?

So I got this no-name(TMS?) pit in '07 never rode it,buddy finally bought one too a couple months ago so we started riding,3rd timeout it started falling apart.The manual Lifan engine runs great tho.

So I bought a used SSR that was more beat that I initially thought,so I put the Lifan in it and basiclly made 1 good rideable bike.

Now I have a set of 12/12 and a set of 12/14 wheels.

I used the gearing from the first bike since it was for the same engine,it has a really big rear sprocket,Im riding it 12/12 wheels and it feels nice and torquey.

Now the SSR (2nd bike) had a tiny rear sprocket,I assume because the original wheels on that were 10/12 it had enough tourque(I know the original wheels were 10/12).And dude just slapped on the old sprocket w/o compensating for the bigger wheel size when he got new ones.When I did ride it w/ the tiny sprocket there was zero torque,it just bogged when you gunned it.

Am I in the ballpark or have I totally lost you?

I'm basicly trail riding,so what would be a good size rear sprocket if I'm running 12/12 wheels w/ a 15t front sprocket?

I want it torquey,but I dont wanna burn up my Lifan engine going wide open all the time.It probably goes 40-45 top speed right now,which is plenty fast for me,its just thats w/ it pinned.

And what do you guys run(sprockets and wheels)?

I run 16/37 set up on my SSR 125 E4 12/10 set up, works well. 4th gear pinned all day.

Jeez Im at 16-50 on 12"s,probably gonna go 45 on the rear.But that was stock gearing on a china pit 12"r 14"f.I always felt like it was geared lo.