Sign in to follow this  

how big of a difference can a revalve really make

so after rideing my 06 crf250r for almost 5 years now i realize that my suspension completly blows! I really want to be out of the lame C class and be a decent B rider. when i free ride around the yard i feel like a pro but when i get on the track i have much less confidence and feel like much less of a rider, aside from a couple things that i have to change to my body, i feel most of the problem is poor suspension set up, could i be right? i have owned it for just about 5 years and all its ever had to suspension is fork oil and seal change about 3 years ago, and a sag set about 4 years ago, i know i have gained at least 5-10 lbs in that time. would a revalve be all i need to elevate me in the B class?....and mabey a bit a cardio training...i know that question has to many variables to answer, but it sure cant hurt. got a pretty god tuner in the state, pretty sure im sendin it. i just feel after total 7 years of rideing i should be out of the slow class:bonk:

How mechanically adept are you? If you are somewhat knowledgeable with working on various parts of your bike, then you should be able to revalve your suspension yourself. It is not hard at all, plus you'll save a few hundred dollars. Another key advantage is that as you get faster and need to make more modifications, you will know what you need to do and how.

Go to the CRF450R subforum and click on the sticky at the top called DIY Showa Revalve (or something like that). Read through it and you'll see how easy it really is. Plus, theDogger (author of the thread) is very helpful and will suggest a complete setup based on weight, skill level, and more.

With the money you save, you can buy a second set of suspension and use it as a back up or for testing. You could also use the saved money for tires, a riding school, and much more.

if you can't do your own work, then use the local shop. that way if you encounter a problem; they are close. most importantly, they can see you ride.

i have done top ends and know the motor well, but i have never delt with suspension. I am going to look into doing it myslef then. Hower the suspension guy i would be going through if i did decide to send it off goes to almost all the major local races, brings a trailor full of suspension stuff and hepls you get it perfect if he dident the first time. but i will def look into doing it my self for sure, im open to try new things

If you want to do it yourself, then get Race Tech's Suspension Bible for about $25. It goes into detail about how to take everything apart and also gives you the theory you need to know what to try.