Sign in to follow this  

Help with street tire

Hey guys looking to buy a street tire for my drz125l did some reserch and people said that the widest tire to fit the back is 120mm as for the front a 110 mm anyonr know for sure if this is true I was looking at a 130 mm rear tire but dont wana buy it and rubs the xhain.

I have a 130mm street tire on the rear, it's an absolute bitch to get on, but once on it fits fine

Ok ill prob do that, looking for a wide back tire. As for the front whats the widest that fit with out rubbing

A buddy of mine built a set of street rims / tires using two front rims off a Katana. He machined them to accept the disks and sprocket (He is running a KX100 swingarm, hence the rear disk)

It is a pretty sick mod, and allows him to run front sportbike 17" tires.

Yeah thats sick how hard was it to do the kx100 swing arm mod I would really like to have a disk brake in the back

You can keep your 19/16 setup if you run these DOT tires meant for the Honda NX bikes.

Bridgestone TW40 Trail Wing Dual Sport Rear Tire

The Bridgestone TW40 Trail Wing Dual Sport Rear Tire is 80% On Road 20% Off Road

120/90-16 = NX250

Bridgestone TW39 Trail Wing Dual Sport Front Tire

The Bridgestone TW39 Trail Wing Dual Sport Front Tire is 80% On-Road / 20% Off-Road Four-ply construction for dual sport use

90/100-19 = NX250

Yeah thats sick how hard was it to do the kx100 swing arm mod I would really like to have a disk brake in the back

There are a ton of threads on this mod. You have to machine the KX swingarm to accept the DRZ bearings. Weld on the KX brake cyl and fab up a brake lever.

Thats about it...

130 will look cool, but much wider than you need. My 70 hp street bike runs a 120.

Not to discourage you, I put a 110 on a mini, but just to let you know your effort is primarily for vanity.

Also, a 100 wide tire from one manufacturer may actually be thinner than a 90 from another or wider than another's 110.

I'd love to see pics when it's done.

i want th wide tire for doing circle wheelies and stunting and will look cool i got a 120 for the rear and a 110 for the front i herd they fit just a bitch to get on as there a streetbike tire and not actually right size lol but we will see and i will post pics. also what streetbike you have i had 3... a zx6r,zx9r,gsxr600 i like wheelies haha

I have a 1982 GPz with a ZX550 power plant. This is the bike two generations prior to the ZX6 with essentially an underbored ZX6 motor. IMHO, it's the perfect commuter bike. I also seem to attract prior owners at gas stations quite a bit. I've been in many conversations with people who I've never met before, but one of the first things they said was "I used to have one of those, I wish I never would have sold it".

That old 550 is a early version of what became the ZX6(E) The ZX6R came out as a totally different platform. Not important but thought I would throw that out there.

Early year ZX6R is a awesome stunt bike, things have zero power on the low end which makes them very forgiving on the ballance point.

Yup, that's what I mean. 81 was the last year with the dual rear shocks. The subsequent monoshock version in 82 was a big improvement, although the motor was stuck with mechanical ignition advance. (still, a much better motor than the KZ550) The ZX550 is full electronic. That wasn't the reason I did the upgrade, but it was a nice benefit.

Sure thing. A little rough around the edges, but you wouldn't look pristine with 40,000 on the clock either.

austins%252520191.jpg

Mine is the only one I've ever seen with vinyl "GPZ" on the side covers. Every other one has chrome plated plastic badges instead.

I'm guessing this is the ZX motor. Externally, they're identical. The cams and electrical bits are completely different. In fact, I never figured out how to make the original gas gauge work with the new wiring. With a 4-cylinder, it's pretty gentle when it tells you it needs switched to reserve though, it's like 30% less power when the first carb goes dry, 60% less when two go dry. My D/S which is a dual-carb single bowl is downright scary... everything's honky dory... HUGE PROBLEM!.

For some reason this rider looks a little bored, I'm sure she'd be excited if she had the keys though.

austins%252520182.jpg

Any one know where I could get a rear handbrake setup for this and maybe a 12 o clock bar as well??

i want th wide tire for doing circle wheelies and stunting and will look cool i got a 120 for the rear and a 110 for the front i herd they fit just a bitch to get on as there a streetbike tire and not actually right size lol but we will see and i will post pics. also what streetbike you have i had 3... a zx6r,zx9r,gsxr600 i like wheelies haha

Last night I shoehorned a Pirelli Diablo 110/70 on our XR100 1.6X16 rear wheel. The profile is lousy. I'm on the look out for a 2.5 rim, hoping I can find one on ebay probably mounted to a wheel, as long as the spoke count matches, it should be fine. However, I'm probably going to have to spend over a hundred bucks on a rim instead. Either way, I'm going to have to lace the wheel and true it again. I should have bought a 100/80 instead. Edited by Smacaroni