Sign in to follow this  

315R replacement muffler.

Anyone know about replacing the silencer on a 315R (2001 if that makes a difference)? Mine is in kind of rough shape, the holes around the rivets are too big, not to mention I can't find 4.8mm rivets anywhere locally anyway. It is also kind of crushed around the ends so it doesn't quite seal and it can wiggle loosely. It still works, but I'd like to get something a little better.

Does anyone know of an aftermarket one? I think I heard someone somewhere that they had one with an FMF silencer on it but FMF has no mention of this... I can't even find used ones on ebay.:lol:

Thanks for any help!

Back in the day guys where buying the uneversal FMF spark arrestor and modifing them to fit the Montesa. This included welding the mount on.

Anyone know about replacing the silencer on a 315R (2001 if that makes a difference)? Mine is in kind of rough shape, the holes around the rivets are too big, not to mention I can't find 4.8mm rivets anywhere locally anyway. It is also kind of crushed around the ends so it doesn't quite seal and it can wiggle loosely. It still works, but I'd like to get something a little better.

Does anyone know of an aftermarket one? I think I heard someone somewhere that they had one with an FMF silencer on it but FMF has no mention of this... I can't even find used ones on ebay.:lol:

Thanks for any help!

I would contact lewisportusa in Ca or overlandtrail in Pa one of the two should be able to help you out for sure.give em a call.good luck!

Well I sent an email to Lewisport like two weeks ago asking about some parts for the bike and I've never heard back from them.

I wonder how far off the dimensions of the universal FMF would be. It might be easier to just fabricate a new tube from sheet metal than to start hacking on one to modify it. A while back on this site someone was talking about buying an 04 in HI that had an FMF silencer on it so that's why I brought up that brand specifically. In the same thread someone was talking about using a modified CR250 silencer that was shortened or something but I don't know if it was stock or FMF or something else. Sure would be great if I could find an existing silencer that would just slip on, but I doubt that'll happen!

Give Dennis a call at overlandtrail in Pa he has a lot of montesa parts,and info.Yeah you could probably mod a FMF with a little fabrication PITA$,but I would call Dennis first and Call Lewisportusa too, that would be where I would Start.Give it a go it's only a phone call.

Edited by pitbulldoug

I've rebuilt two 315R mufflers using 2T repack kits from local shops. The 4.8mm (0.188") rivets are very close to 3/16", or go up to 1/4", both available at Home Depot. The fit on the expansion chamber outlet is poor but with fresh O rings it does seal pretty well. I had more problems with oil sponge leaking out of the end cap so I used hi temp silicon to seal the end caps when repacking. Also the core is a bit short for good fit to the end caps, making assembly difficult.:lol:

I just purchased a 2004 Montesa 315R and it has an FMF Turbine Core 2 exhaust silencer on it. I got it from Lewisport and Adrian seemed to know about this modification. Don't email him, call him.

A turbine core 2 would look sweet! They're probably not in the shop tomorrow but hopefully I can get a hold of him on Monday. Does it just bolt on or is there some kind of adapter on there? It might just be the CR250 turbine core, that one only has one mounting hole like the stock exhaust.

Looks to bolt right up. Call Adrian he will know exactly which one will fit. They are open m-th 8-5.

The ones that Lewisport sells\sold are modified to fit the Montesa. They are not a standard FMF unit. If they're still avalible expect to pay for that extra labor over the price of a standard FMF muffler.

OK, I just got off the phone with Adrian. For the record it is a 96 CR250 Turbinecore 2. Apparently, an adapter tube needs to be fabricated for the inside, the pipe needs to shortened and the bracket needs to be relocated. Not as simple as I hoped, but I think I can giterdun.

Can anyone that has this silencer installed post some pictures?

Thanks!

I sent an inquiry to Dennis about some parts, including the silencer. A new OEM one would cost me $350!!! The mods to the FMF should be fairly easy but I'll know when it gets here. I ordered it from Rocky mountain for $134.99 and even got a $10 dollar credit to my account. It shipped today, and should be here on Wednesday.

I'm not really sure about overland trials. He wanted $190 for just a piston! replacing the whole assembly would be over $285! I know it's expensive to import these parts, but I can get the whole piston KIT from Jim Sandiford over in the UK for $190 USD. I'll probably have to pay a lot more for shipping, but I doubt it will be $100!

I sent an inquiry to Dennis about some parts, including the silencer. A new OEM one would cost me $350!!! The mods to the FMF should be fairly easy but I'll know when it gets here. I ordered it from Rocky mountain for $134.99 and even got a $10 dollar credit to my account. It shipped today, and should be here on Wednesday.

I'm not really sure about overland trials. He wanted $190 for just a piston! replacing the whole assembly would be over $285! I know it's expensive to import these parts, but I can get the whole piston KIT from Jim Sandiford over in the UK for $190 USD. I'll probably have to pay a lot more for shipping, but I doubt it will be $100!

yep gotta remember that all that stuff has to be imported and it's not like montesa has major manufacturer importer here in the U.S,hey if the euro continues on their trend the shipping might get more reasonable.The only importers are Lewisport and overland trail? thats it, as far as I know?Lucky we have them!give us a heads up on how that FMF shakes out for you,some picts would be great.

Hmmm, it wants me to sign in. Can you upload them to photobucket or imageshack?

Well, it's a good thing the new one is coming tomorrow because I just wrecked the one that's on there:banghead: Stupid hurts!:lol: