Sign in to follow this  

Worn brake pads?

I've noticed a huge decrease in stopping power with my front and rear brakes.Both the disc and pads are stock and I was thinking of replacing them.The only thing I want to know is if there is something else,other than worn brake pads that could cause me to lose their power.Also,my brake lever has more play in it than it used too,could that be the problem?I notice the same in the rear,not as much stopping power and the lever has more play.The brake pads I'm looking to buy are Galfer's and I wanted to know if they would be a good replacement,if they're up to OEM standards and will fit with the stock rotors.

Many thanks-Zach

Not sure how old everything is, but you can replace your fluid and bleed it first if the pads look ok and see if that works. Brake fluid can boil under hard riding and any contaminents like moisture can evaporate and cause bubbles. I was told by someone wiser than me on here to change fluid at least once a year and rebuild calipers and masters every five. So if you fall into that timeframe now id start with that. Its cheap to do, prob 100 bucks to buy rebuild kits for both masters and calipers, and you can do it yourself fairly easy

Yes, replace and bleed the brake systems out and also sand the glaze off your disk. Your disk will get polished from brake use, so sanding the glaze off lets the pads grab the disk again.

What year is your bike? Don't waste your money on aftermarket pads, I've never used any that worked as well as OEM. When I bought my RM I really disliked how weak the brakes were even though it was new. I put an EBC 280mm rotor on and it barely helped at all. So then I put some OEM Honda 450 pads on the front of my bike and they work MUCH better than the stock Suzuki ones. I got them off eBay for $26 shipped.

My brakes finally feel like my CRFs did with oversize rotors.

yeah, dont go for cheap aftermarkets

i did once, i think they lasted 2 trainingdays

If your pads are worn the brake piston will be further out causing more play at the levers... this is most likely what you are feeling. like stated above, replace pads and change the brake fluid and you should be good to go.

or don't worry about it, you'll go much faster with no brakes, they just slow you down.... :lol:

id bleed the system first and get the air outa it. Then if that doesnt work new pads