Sign in to follow this  

1991 KDX 200 Clutch Crapped the Bed

HELP!!!!

I have a KDX200 and the clutch took a dump. So as a guy who's been on bikes since the late 70's I ordered a new clutch pack (friction and spacer plates).

I replaced the clutch as it came out and wha-la! Nothing!!! I put it all back together as it came apart and the clutch wont disengage!!! Nothing, nada, zilch... You tighten the hell out of the cable and it still wont release the clutch enough to work. The clutch handle wont pull in anymore(as it is tightened to the max) and it wont let the engine spin free.

What gives? Has anyone had this problem? The kick in the sack is the way the engaging arm goes through the case so it is impossible to have the side cover off to see what's going on inside.....

I'm going nuts here.... I hope someone can help me....

Oh, did I mention the bike is in Mexico and I am in Jersey? It's hard to get parts South of the Border(if possible at all).

Please! Any ideas?

Is this tested with the engine running, or with it stopped and trying to roll the bike in gear with the clutch pulled?

Thanks so much for your quick reply's.

If the bike is shut off it won't roll in gear with the leaver compressed.

If the bike is running and you pull in the clutch and dump it in gear it just runs away.

The way the clutch basket works on this model is the bolts that go through the retaining basket need to be tightened all the way to keep the bolt heads from striking the clutch cover. The springs were new with the clutch kit I purchased.

I just don't understand. By feel when it is together it should work, but it doesn't.

Check for the thrust washer that goes behind the clutch hub (inner). If it's on the wrong side of the basket it won't let the inner hub move to release pressure from the plates.

Check for the thrust washer that goes behind the clutch hub (inner). If it's on the wrong side of the basket it won't let the inner hub move to release pressure from the plates.

this would be my only thought

I have had similar problems when reassembling my E-series KDX clutch, and the issue was that the clutch hub was not engaged/fully seated against the bottom of the "clutch wheel." The clutch wheel (part 13086 in the parts illustration http://www.bikebandit.com/houseofmotorcycles/1990-kawasaki-kdx200-kdx200e2-us/o/m3515#sch50566 ) is the part that goes inside the basket, under the plates, and has the threads that the spring bolts go into. There are teeth on this clutch wheel that receive the teeth of the clutch hub. You have to make sure that the teeth on the hub nest into those teeth on the wheel, or else height of the clutch pack will be too high, the springs will be almost fully compressed when fully tightened, and there will be no way for your clutch lever to disengage the clutch.

So what you need to do is remove the springs, pull the plates, and make sure when you reassemble that the teeth of the clutch hub are nested into the teeth on that clutch wheel.

Edited by dfeckel
Incorrect terminology