Sign in to follow this  

Are '06-08 RM250's reliable?

I'm looking to buy a used 06-08 RM250, and after looking a several bikes, I found that all had major engine rebuilds (lower end, trans) within 50-70 hours of time on them. Is this typical of the RM's? Thanks, Joe.

Just as many car OEM's will say that "your mileage may vary" the same can be applied to reliability. In other words, reliability can be directly related to how hard you ride and how well you maintain your bike including the oil and gas that you burn. Another consideration is the size of your racing budget. If you race your bike hard and have the money to rebuild it often then it's not uncommon to hear about a total rebuild every year, but that goes towards any OEM not just Suzuki.

As for RM's needing to be totally rebuilt after 50 to 70 hours of racing, no, that is not typical. I have personally worked on a number of RM's that have hundreds of hours on the bottom end and they have never been pulled apart or given any reason to do so. The general rule with two strokes, that's ANY two stroke, is that you feed it a piston every year or two without ever touching the bottom end and you'll receive many years of loyal service. Expect the same out of any RM.

So if the bike that you buy has been well maintained and you do the same it will last for many more years without needing any major surgery.

Edited by zig06

I am the third owner of an 06 and it's only had one piston, nothing else engine wise. Now chains, tires etc, that's another story.

I go through lots of top ends racing desert. No trans issues ever and only 1 rod in 6 top ends. I would say that is pretty reliable. Now that I think of it, I might be due for a rod in the next couple of rebuilds.LOL!

If your skimming the whoops the bottom end will complain on any bike. Get an hour metter and change the top end every 30hrs and the bottom end when its out of spec. you can buy a complet crankset for under 300us.

family man is spot on,

i change the piston and rings @ 12/18 months or when i feel the power is dropping off and always always use good oils. had my 06 since new and it still rips

my mate has an 06yz250 still on stock piston, and that thing is still fast

I have had my 06 RM 250 for two years now and it has been the most reliable bike I have ever owned. Its set up for riding the woods. It always starts on the first or second kick, Change plugs once or twice a year whether it needs it or not. I wouldn't hesitate to by another 2006.:lol:

Edited by Dynojet Steve