Sign in to follow this  

Talk me out of this!

I want to get a KTM150SX.

Let me give you some background. 6' tall, about 210 in gear.

I have a RMZ450, and an RM250 that I ride in the woods.

Lately, I have been riding the 2 stroke woods bike on the track. Slower than my 450 for sure, but way, way, way more fun to ride.

I have had a bike boner for the 150sx for a while now.

Last bike I had a bike boner for was an Aprilia SXV550. Bought it, got it out of my system over the summer, then sold it and lost no money.

Assuming the 150SX is hard to find and quite desirable, is this something I could buy, ride for a season, and sell at little loss?

That is currently how I am justifying blowing a huge wad of cash on a brand new bike that is way underpowered for my size (but a TON of fun I am sure!!!)

Thanks!

And even bigger bike boner would be the 200XC. I have a friend that made the mistake of letting me ride his and now I can't get it off my mind.

I'm def slower on it, but the damn thing is such a blastie to ride

Go for it! By the time you go and try to sell it. Hopefully you will forget who told you to buy it! How much money is fun worth?

I want to get a KTM150SX.

Let me give you some background. 6' tall, about 210 in gear.

I have a RMZ450, and an RM250 that I ride in the woods.

Lately, I have been riding the 2 stroke woods bike on the track. Slower than my 450 for sure, but way, way, way more fun to ride.

I have had a bike boner for the 150sx for a while now.

Last bike I had a bike boner for was an Aprilia SXV550. Bought it, got it out of my system over the summer,

Thanks!

Ive been having the itch for a 125/150 as well. I say u Buy it and let me know how it hauls u around as I am also 6'1 and around 210 in gear .. That way I will know where I stand with one instead of me dropping the loot to find out myself :lol:

I have a friend who's 210lbs and does just fine on an RM125 (144cc). I'm 225lbs and I'd love to try a Husky CR/WR150 (the 167cc kit seems like a little monster). Go for it and report back :lol:

love my 09 250f, but love my 01 kx125 even more. So fun to ride, you won't regret it! 'im small, 5;2, 150 in gear, but still, I'm sure you'll have a blast.. in your pants. :lol: i went there. lol

Im 225 lbs before gear and love my 125... still the most fun bike Ill ever own hands own. No way Ill ever get rid of it. Funny thing about it is I still have decent speed on it even at my size.

Im 225 lbs before gear and love my 125... still the most fun bike Ill ever own hands own. No way Ill ever get rid of it. Funny thing about it is I still have decent speed on it even at my size.

same way man.. selling my 09 and a 2nd 01 125 this winter to put towards a new 12 in the spring, but my 125 that ive put hours of wrenching into is going no where... ever:P Even with the rebuild it should get this winter and any amount $ i have ot put in, it's staying around!

braap > thuuuump. hah

Simply, small bore two strokes are awesome. these threads keep me up at night wishing i still had my rm 125

That is currently how I am justifying blowing a huge wad of cash on a brand new bike that is way underpowered for my size (but a TON of fun I am sure!!!)

Thanks!

I don't know - I'm 210 and I ride 125s. A 150 sounds like cheating to me. I also ride a 4-s 250, which makes even less power than the 125s. They're only underpowered if you're afraid to PIN IT!! 30HP is plenty for anybody, provided you can ring all 30 out of it.

JayC

Yea it was only inevitable that I would have some small bore bike this year. Have been looking for a nice RM125 since I am a Suzuki guy and have a ton of parts already....but KTM150SX near new for a great price? hard to pass up when they get unreal reviews!

Also have to face the reality that I have little time at home to tinker with my bikes and modify them thanks to work and work trips, so having a turn key new nice bike is awesome to me.

Will see how much my 450 gets ridden this year if I buy this bike. Last year I barely rode the 450, my rm250 is so much fun. Maybe if the 450 wasn't such a heavy handful and it could be ridden aggressively by a "normal" guy like me I would like it.....

If I didn't have so much $$ wrapped up into the 450 I would dump it asap.

Wheels, suspension work, engine work, nice exhaust, power commander, blah blah blah. Glad that phase of my life where I need to look cool on my bike is over. My RM250 has non matching numbers, no graphics, bent radiators, spark arrester, huge tank, bashed up pipe. Woods bike. So much fun to go to the track and beat guys on that thing. Want to get a lighting coil and plate it so I can pass them with a license plate!!

Will post if I end up blowing my cash on the bike!

Yes, 125/150s are fun. If its going to be your only bike I would tell you its not the best idea but if you have a few other bikes in the stable, get it! They are not underpowered, were just over weight!

Honestly, if you feel the RM250 is slow, the 150 is gonna be REALLY slow.

Every bike has its purpose and the 150 is designed for light-weight racers.

I have a suped up 40hp 125SX, its a beast, very quick bike, its actually far quicker then anything I need, but I weigh 150lb on a bad day and am the perfect build for motocross. I think the 150sx will be substantially under powered for anyone near or over 200lb. Plus the bike isn't built for that much weight, so you'll be doing springs, valving, lots of other work just so it will work.

I think the best bike to buy in this case is the new 250SX. It IS designed for the extra weight and its also considered by everyone who's ridden it to be the best/fastest 2 stroke on the market today and maybe fastest 250 ever made. That thing will lug you around properly and its just plain-awesome!

But meh, if you have an obsession to own one, be my guest. I just feel, you'll come on the forums and bash it pretty quick saying its under powered and honestly, in stock form, it is for your weight. :lol:

Honestly, if you feel the RM250 is slow, the 150 is gonna be REALLY slow.

Every bike has its purpose and the 150 is designed for light-weight racers.

I have a suped up 40hp 125SX, its a beast, very quick bike, its actually far quicker then anything I need, but I weigh 150lb on a bad day and am the perfect build for motocross. I think the 150sx will be substantially under powered for anyone near or over 200lb. Plus the bike isn't built for that much weight, so you'll be doing springs, valving, lots of other work just so it will work.

I think the best bike to buy in this case is the new 250SX. It IS designed for the extra weight and its also considered by everyone who's ridden it to be the best/fastest 2 stroke on the market today and maybe fastest 250 ever made. That thing will lug you around properly and its just plain-awesome!

But meh, if you have an obsession to own one, be my guest. I just feel, you'll come on the forums and bash it pretty quick saying its under powered and honestly, in stock form, it is for your weight. :lol:

I don't think he is going for speed. Just something he can have blasting on the pipe non stop.