Sign in to follow this  

12/52 on a 08 WR250F

13/52 the bike pulls real hard till I hit the rev-limited in 5th and the speed is 85 mph free mods YZ pipe JD jet kit. Bike pulls really hard up top and even tho that 85 mph is off the stock speed-o "it has to be way off" I pass other rider like they are in 2nd :lol: but keep up with cars on the freeway...

So I'm thinking of dropping the front to 12 for a lil more low end. Anyone running the 12/52 ? do you like it? what about MPG?

I'll be racing the bike in Enduros in NJ sand or PA/NY rocks. They do gas stops at 30 to 40 miles..

I'll be doing the YZ ex cam timing as well..

So far I really love the bike but would love it more with a lil punch on the low end..

Thanks...

Yes, I've tried it. The good is you get torque now, stands up in 4th, and still don't run out of top end. The bad is the chain will saw its way thru the top of the swingarm.... I know.

Don't do it. I went back to 13X52. If you have to gear down, add to the rear sprocket, but be ready for the chain to chop up the rear chain guide.

13 x 50 standard here, pretty good combo, some people look to 14 x 50 for fast xc but top gear won't really pull up hills at all.

Tammy, I use the stock 13/50 sprockets, myself, yet don't feel a need for more low-end torque.

On my bike, the thing I did that really allowed the bike to run as intended (beside all of the other usual uncorking mods) was the switch to an FMF Powerbomb head pipe and FMF Q muffler, and it made such a difference in how the bike runs.

With the way my bike runs, I'm only amazed at how much low end it has, not the opposite. :lol:

I'm talking about being able to pull at such low engine RPM that you can feel and hear each power pulse, yet the bike keeps running and pulling, even up rock-filled hills and the like.

Literally, the only thing that will stall my engine is if I close the throttle and allow it to stall.

I'm still amazed by the change this made to this day, two years after I did it.

Damn, I'm topping out at 75 ish on my YZ running 13/48! Stupid CR transmissions!

I have a YZ head pipe and can and that really open the bike up so as far as pipes go that's all the work I'm going to do to it. The bike will go up anything what it will not do is get the front wheel up in 2nd like when you come around a turn and a big log is sitting in front of you..

I have a WR250R as well and lots of people said if you dropped to a 12 up front you would eat up the swingarm but 2k miles with a 12 on it that never happen so i guess I'll have to see for myself how it feels ..

I've been running a 12x50 setup and haven't had any issues. Ride mostly single track in the rocks of northeast PA and the 12 really let me stay in 2nd more without as much shifting as the 13. No swingarm rub or any other issues like that. I just put a fresh chain and sprockets on, and did change my guide, but the original one wasn't worn through, I just changed it because I spent the money on a new one before I knew how it looked with everything apart. I imagine the 12x52 would be fine for you.

I have a pipe it's off a YZ250 as is the head pipe and the motor pulls real hard and I'm happy with the bike as is but would like a lil punch down low the kind of punch you get from gearing it down.

Fireman had the info I was looking for and rides that same stuff I would be riding NE PA stuff Jim Thorpe, Nesquehoning, the 3 Enduros out that way...

Thanks....

I have a YZ head pipe and can and that really open the bike up so as far as pipes go that's all the work I'm going to do to it. The bike will go up anything what it will not do is get the front wheel up in 2nd like when you come around a turn and a big log is sitting in front of you..

Did you try shifting your weight back a little more to help the front end up?

Yeah like I said, I run 13/48 and I can lift my front wheel all the way up to 4th (at speed) No problems in 1st or 2nd at slow speed.

Yeah like I said, I run 13/48 and I can lift my front wheel all the way up to 4th (at speed) No problems in 1st or 2nd at slow speed.

And tell me how is your bike and mine the same???

I have a WR with the free mods and a YZ pipe and can

You have a YZ and what mods??

All I was asking is if anyone with a WR that was running a 12/52 gearing if they liked it and how did it would out for them..

I listed my mods so you can see that the bike is not stock and that it runs well other then the lil punch I would like by dropping to a 12 up front..

Did you try shifting your weight back a little more to help the front end up?

Yes and that works but I'm a really sick girl I have next to no lungs left and I run out of wind really fast. The more I move around the faster I die out and that could be really fast.. Why am I riding in the woods and racing Enduros?? It's keeping me alive and may be the only thing that is going to keep me out of the hospital and more surgery + as you all know it's mad fun....

If all I need to do is give it a bit of gas to get the front wheel lite that will make my job a bit easier and keeps a lil more wind in my reserves.. :lol:

And tell me how is your bike and mine the same???

I have a WR with the free mods and a YZ pipe and can

You have a YZ and what mods??

All I was asking is if anyone with a WR that was running a 12/52 gearing if they liked it and how did it would out for them..

I listed my mods so you can see that the bike is not stock and that it runs well other then the lil punch I would like by dropping to a 12 up front..

Relax, I was just pointing out that with a little body input, even my tall geared YZ can wheelie with relative ease. My bike is pretty much stock except a powercore exhaust. Nothing special (but don't tell it that:busted:). Although I'm considering a 290 kit and powerbomb, both are said to add some low end punch.

The technique is pretty simple, all you need to do is load the front and then give it some juice when they rebound. You can do this with the front brake to load the front and then just give it some throttle and optionally use a little clutch. It will help if your weight is towards the rear of the bike. I do a lot of riding on my trials bike so I use the same techniques on both bikes. I do it standing (you probably would be anyway if you're crossing a log) and I like to use slightly different technique but the same principle. Start by dipping your knees down and forward to compress the forks, then as they rebound move your body weight back and throw your knees back. As your body moves back you can pull on the bars THROUGH your arms, but you don't need to pull with your arms (Think of pulling something with your arms straight). At the same time you use your throttle and optionally clutch and you should have no problems in first or second. With this technique, on my YZ250F, I can stand with the engine off, rear brake on, and using the exact method above minus the engine input I can lift the front wheel 2-3 inches, so with 40 some horses, it comes up no problem! The best part is, once you get the movements down, it requires very little effort!

That's too bad about your health problems, but it's great you aren't letting it slow you down too much! Have you ever considered riding a trials bike? Ever since I got mine I've been thumping the trials bible and preaching to anyone that'll listen about how great they are for training and building proper techniques that directly improve your skill and efficiency on larger bikes. And they're so much fun it's unbelievable!

I'm cool.

The bike is fine and will get the front end up like you say to do it but the thing is most people don't have my health problems and even tho I look ok and I do ride hard rocky stuff I'm really sick. If gearing down could let me work less then it will save me. Walking up a flight of stairs make me so out of breath I have to stop.

So I'm 40 miles into a Enduro and I'm as beat as a person can be and I come out of a turn and before you can think I have to get over a nice log. Be nice to just give it a lil gas and be done with it LOL

trials bike would be nice if I had the money for one, one day..

I've been running 12/49 for about 50 hours. I have not had any exceptional wear to the swingarm rub block. I keep hearing this is a problem but I haven't seen it yet; I check the pad after every ride though.

Well, only you will know what works best for you! My advice would be to give it a try, just monitor for swing arm / chain slider wear. You might want to upgrade your chain slider, too. I got a TM designworks one on mine and they are supposed to last forever... We'll see...

Make sure to take it on a few test rides before any big races though. A snappier bike might be even more tiring in the tight stuff and could make the problem even worse! Again though only you will know what works best.

I spent a lot more on my trials bike than on my YZ, and I even had to drive 12 hours to pick it up! I don't regret a penny but I sure wish trials would become more popular here so the cost would go down and more people could do it! The same bike as mine in the UK sells for about half the price! It really is fun though, you could probably find a local trials club and go watch one of their events. You could probably even ask around and get to test ride someone's bike!

I've tried the 12/48, 12/50, 12/52 and just about every other combination. I am back to 13/50 with a 290 kit which in my opinion is the best by far.

BTW...if you run any more than a 50 on the back, just remove the chain guide and slot the holes slightly so it can be dropped to allow for the bigger sprocket.

I spent a lot more on my trials bike than on my YZ, and I even had to drive 12 hours to pick it up! I don't regret a penny but I sure wish trials would become more popular here so the cost would go down and more people could do it! The same bike as mine in the UK sells for about half the price! It really is fun though, you could probably find a local trials club and go watch one of their events. You could probably even ask around and get to test ride someone's bike!

Oh you don't have to sell me kiddo. If I had the money right now I would have one. I'm really new to off road riding but not to riding or racing. I'm not the fastest in the woods but I will get up and over anything and a trials bike would be 110% fun for me cuz what I love the most out in the woods is the crazy stuff. the rocky hills or big stepups.

When I was riding to work I would do it without putting my feet down at lights. Made it to and from work for 2 weeks before I hit a light I could not stop and stand on the pegs without dropping a foot..

I'm going to become a Grandma in less then 21 days and he is going to get one of them lil battery powered trials bike, they start then at 2 on them.. :lol: