Sign in to follow this  

Selling used bikes: What does "Vet owned" mean in the description?

I see more and more in the description of used bikes the statement "Vet owned". Is this Military Veteran or a veteran rider? No lack of respect intended for either, but how does this make it a better motorcycle? Just wonderin'.

probably means older rider and generally older people take good care of their stuff and are not too hard on it. my .02

thats it....vets are 30+...senior vets are 40+....jr. vets are 25-29

Vet meaning older, not a teanage kid who doesnt take of thier stuff, and beats the crap out of it. Being older supposedly means it was well taken care for from a person who is not as fast as maybe they once were. Now having said that, lots of teens take care of there stuff. But for this example, age supposedly adds responsibility.

Tom

Or, since it is a term used for a specific racing class, it has been raced, but maybe by a slightly more gentle rider.

probably means older rider and generally older people take good care of their stuff and are not too hard on it. my .02

that ^^^, or hes a veterinarian. :lol:

Just like everyone else said, means it was owned by an older rider .. People have a sense of comfort buying from an older person rather than a 16 or 17 year old kid as a lot of kids tend to not maintain their bikes as well . This doesn't apply to all younger riders tho .

A young rider that races does maintain their bikes because they want to finish the race on the podium. Young rider that don’t race,, same for most rider that don't race typically don't have the best maintenance. The difference between young racers and vets, vets have the money to replace parts when getting worn.

Only a racer would use the word vet. Regular over 40 dudes don't refer to themselves as a vet. It is an automatic clue that it has been raced.

As far as the condition or quality of the bike, it means nothing. I usually hear older racers refer to themselves as "Vets." That tips me off that the bike has been raced..... It has nothing to do with military service when reference in a used bike ad.

Only a racer would use the word vet. Regular over 40 dudes don't refer to themselves as a vet. It is an automatic clue that it has been raced.

Maybe old guys that don’t race should advertise as “Geritol club owned” or “AARP member owned”.

CoKTM