Took the plunge on a 350 sxf

First out, does anyone have a service manual they'd be willing to email? I know my 450's engine inside out (thanks Ville) and I'm uncomfortable not knowing squat about this bike.

Riding impressions:

I'm coming off my beloved '08 450 SXF which I used to grab a 3rd place in my final MX race of this season just three weeks ago. I loved this bike but, I can't have two and so it will be going. Anyways, I came across a 2012 that I was able to get for $7100 OTD so, I couldn't refuse. Do you know these things come with a 6mo warrantee? Impressive. Anyways, from the very first lap, I was very impressed with the suspension. I don't know what the settings are at but, by dumb luck they pegged me just fine (158 in my birthday suit, slower Utah intermediate). Very plush in comparison to my old bike yet, I had no harsh bottoming. I hope it gets better once I set the sag, etc. The bike turns very well and has a lighter flickable feel. I don't love the MX 51 on front as it feels as if it could wash out sometimes (something my 450 never did). As far as the power goes, a turbo charged car comes to mind when describing it. Once it hits the mid range, it really pulls hard. I bought the switch to allow access to the 3 preloaded maps. I started with the aggressive map but, I've come to the realization that I prefer the third setting (standard). In the aggressive mode, the bike seemed "nervous" on straightaways as I pulled into the upper rpms. To me this bike has been marketed as a "vet" bike and being a vet rider, I bought onto this. In my opinion, this bike is a younger man's bike. You can't cruise with it like you can a 450. Everything about it is more dynamic. You have to "ride" these more. If you want to go fast on these, you can't be lazy (like me). When I turn the bike on and push it, I feel like I'm "hanging it out" more than when on a 450. That said, in initial play races with my buddies, I felt like I had good speed on the bike. I hope it is as good from a durability standpoint as my 450 has been. Anyways, those are my impressions so far.

• Like 1

yes mate agree with all what you have said, I found the MX 31 soft terrain front tire was much better than my mx 51 front as it just feels more planted and you seem it just seems to hold on better. What weird is that although a soft terrain tire it seems to work well on hardpack LOL .The mx 51 rear is good and hooks up well,

I have read that an 8 oz flywheel weight improves the pull of the 350 dramatically. I'm sending my bike to my dealer this winter to have the main bearing recall done and do the valves and rings well it's opened up and I will have a weight put on at this point too....just have to throw in that I have 40 hours on my 350 with zero issues....it's been a great ride!

Yeah no issues on mine too with almost 30 on it. How much does switching the clamps really help it? I think it really depends on what you came off of. I hate riding a 450 they are big and heavy and just akward. I always rode 250s then got the 350 and love it. Now my buddy that is at least 50 pounds lighter has gotten lazy and doesn't like it because he has a 450. But that 450 also gets out of shape on him a lot and pile drives him everytime. I don't know many guys that can ride a 450 hard enough and long enough or use that much power. Even on my 250 I'd give up some on the starts but towards the end of the moto I wouldn't tire out like everyone else would. I think its the perfect Vet bike. Its has enough guts to hang with a 450 but its a lot lighter and you can push harder for longer.