Sign in to follow this  

New Two Stroke classes at Loretta's

Hadn't seen it... thanks for the link.

I hope this doesn't signal a changing of the tides for the two strokes in amateur racing. I like the CC = CC rules we currently have in the AMA amateur classes and would hate to see this turn into the first step toward easeing the 250 smokers out of the 250F class.

That's my worst fear, but I don't think it will happen that way. I think it will continue the way it is for at least another 5 to 10 years.

The past few years, I have seen a lot more 250 smokers at the local races. I believe it's because people realize they are less expensive and are allowed to run in the 250cc classes. Most of us amateur riders aren't fast enough to have a substantial advantage due to the extra horsepower vs a 250 thumper. In fact, I think most guys are at a disadvantage on the smoker because they can't control the hard hit and narrow power. That's what keeps parity on the amateur level and I love it.

I hopefully will see you guys there

Just not sure which bike to bring

Yeah... I'll still be in Afghanistan until June, but I'll be in shape, so who knows.

If I make the qualifiers, I'll run the vet or the two stroke class for sure.

There has been an explosion of new-to-me used YZ two strokes at our local tracks in the past week or so. The 250F kids trying them out, the super mini kid trying it out. It's as if they agreed "okay, this two stroke stuff is new and weird so let's all go out and not get hurt learning to corner and jump."

The funniest to watch are 450F youth racers with Rekluse clutch go from a year or two of "lazy" riding to a stock YZ125. SHIFT down. A lot! And do it again!

You'll hear those words followed by laughter trackside. Some kids get it and some just hand it off and get back on their stroker.

There has been an explosion of new-to-me used YZ two strokes at our local tracks in the past week or so. The 250F kids trying them out, the super mini kid trying it out. It's as if they agreed "okay, this two stroke stuff is new and weird so let's all go out and not get hurt learning to corner and jump."

The funniest to watch are 450F youth racers with Rekluse clutch go from a year or two of "lazy" riding to a stock YZ125. SHIFT down. A lot! And do it again!

You'll hear those words followed by laughter trackside. Some kids get it and some just hand it off and get back on their stroker.

such a true statement right there. for me, the best thing iv ever done was go from my 250f and 450f down to a 125. taught me how to ride all over again. i regret not taking a year after 85s to ride a 125. i just jumped to a 250f. i got along with it well but there was a lot that needed to be learned riding a 125. now its the best bike i own and have way more on fun that then anything lol (the 125)

Edited by AJMAG247
  • Like 1

YamaLink, I have made the same observation about the two strokes. a few years ago there were NONE. Now there seems to be a lot more guys on 250 smokers riding the 250cc classes.

...there was a lot that needed to be learned riding a 125...

That is exactly why I picked up a YZ125 over the summer. I haven't ridden it yet, but when I do next June, I know I'll pick up a lot of timing skill and learn to carry more speed through my corners.

To be fast on a 125, you HAVE to be efficient and carry speed.

Edited by cwtoyota

YamaLink, I have made the same observation about the two strokes. a few years ago there were NONE. Now there seems to be a lot more guys on 250 smokers riding the 250cc classes.
...there was a lot that needed to be learned riding a 125...QUOTE]

That is exactly why I picked up a YZ125 over the summer. I haven't ridden it yet, but when I do next June, I know I'll pick up a lot of timing skill and learn to carry more speed through my corners.

To be fast on a 125, you HAVE to be efficient and carry speed.

Your 100% right about that... esp when your 225lbs before gear like myself. Ive gotten so much faster on my 250s and 450, so quick, just by riding my 125 on practice days. It really opens your eyes as to how important throttle, clutch, and brake control are and how much you dont notice the room for improvement there is when your on your bigger bike. I went from being a back of the pack/mid pack B class rider depending on the day, to a top 3 contender every time out in less than a season because I realised this. Conrners is where the 125s lack of power really benefits a rider in the long run and shows your flaws on an over powered bike where you can compensate and feel fast until you ride one and see the difference hands on. Ill never let mine go for this reason alone.