Sign in to follow this  

Help! 06 crf 450r dies when I twist the throttle?!!

My 06 crf 450r dies when I give it gas all of a sudden. It kicks over easy and fires right up. It idles fine but when I twist the throttle, even a little it starts back firing and dies. Any help will be much appreciated.:lol:

Edited by DRN864

Sounds like something is clogged in your carb. I'd tear it down and check all your jets and make sure they're all clean to start with...:lol::thumbsup:

if it still does it with the carb cleaned, inspect the hotstart. Make sure the plunger in the carb is clean, put a light film of grease on it, then reinstall and make sure you have play in the cable.

next inspect the valves and cam timing.

if all that is good, then pull the left side stator cover. Inspect the pickup there with the 2 soldered leads. More than likely they are full of shavings which means your crank needs replaced.

Thanks so much for the input, I cleaned the carb including the jets, then all the junk accumulated in the slide, and it still did it. The next day I bought a new spark plug and after a few coughs and backfires it cleared up, bike starts on the first kick or so and revs just fine!

Thanks agin.

thanks so much for the input, the problem cleared up after servicing the carb and a new spark plug. Next time im in the carb I'll add a little grease to the plunger.

Thanks again, the info is much appreciated.

Sounds like junk in the AP circuit, or a torn AP diaphram.

thanks so much for the input, the problem cleared up after servicing the carb and a new spark plug. Next time im in the carb I'll add a little grease to the plunger.

Thanks again, the info is much appreciated.

Dont grease the plunger. The grease will rot the diaphragm.

I called Tokyo Mods. He asked if my bike had been sitting for a while, and I said "about a month, whats a while?" and he said, yea 1 month is a while.

He told me to take off the carb and clean the pilot jet, as its probably causing the issue. He also said to take off the subframe on the bike and air cleaner and see if its squiring gas down the back when I add gas.

Saw another thread thats similar: http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/650899-05-crf-450-wont-run-once-choke-is-off/ Some fix was to clean it out (pilot jet), and also check the hot start screw to make sure its air tight.

These are probably my issues, as I put it on in a hurry for the San Felipe 250 in March earlier this year. I will go through it and clean the pilot and take my time putting it back on correctly. We will see if that fixes it.

I called Tokyo Mods. He asked if my bike had been sitting for a while, and I said "about a month, whats a while?" and he said, yea 1 month is a while.

He told me to take off the carb and clean the pilot jet, as its probably causing the issue. He also said to take off the subframe on the bike and air cleaner and see if its squiring gas down the back when I add gas.

Saw another thread thats similar: http://www.thumperta...e-choke-is-off/ Some fix was to clean it out (pilot jet), and also check the hot start screw to make sure its air tight.

These are probably my issues, as I put it on in a hurry for the San Felipe 250 in March earlier this year. I will go through it and clean the pilot and take my time putting it back on correctly. We will see if that fixes it.

That fixed it. Had to take it apart and clean it. Looked like some buildup below the floats. Cleaned everything with Carb cleaner and put it back together. Forgot to tighten the drain screw all the way and the bike started leaking gas like crazy. Took it all back down (3 times) only to find the screw needed to be tightened all the way in.

Bike works great. Its tought to find a high enough idle to elimate bog when I snap the throttle and still have low RPMS to slow the engine going downhill on trails. Just keeping the idle low for now.

2 stroke carbs are a piece of cake compared to these 450 beast carbs.