Sign in to follow this  

why do i go through chain/sprockets so fast!?

i buy ranthel sprockets with D.I.D. x ring everytime. 13/53 tooth. i also have an 2008 crf450. i start breaking teeth off back sprocket within 5th ride almost everytime and its really starting to burn a hole in my pocket. i ride every weekend and im only a middle pack novice rider. it just seems like maybe im doing something wrong. i tighten chain almost every ride. i put 3 fingers on very end of slider on swingarm is how much tension i leave.

post a photo from the side showing the slack in your chain. Even if you didn't "lube" your chain with anything.. just put it on and rode 30-40 hours, you shouldn't be doing that. Need to check your wheel alignment too. find some flat bar stock that is 1/2 to 3/4 wide, place through the swingarm bolt and the axle.. measure both sides. They should be equal. Adjuster marks are pretty darn accurate but not always spot-on.

I ride 3x a WEEK for an hour at a crack in the woods, nothing but wd40 on my chains and i replace the chain at 60hrs or so. I change the front sprocket 1/2 way through usually as it wears 3x as fast as a rear. My rear sprockets are lasting a LONG time now days as im using $19 steel sprockets from RMATV.

i buy ranthel sprockets

You're putting sprockets that belong on nothing larger than a 125 on a 450. I've destroyed a renthal rear on my bike in less than 2 hours.

are you using steel sprockets? I find that the aluminum ones don't last on higher HP bikes like 250 2t's and 450's.

You must be riding nothing but SX with that set up?? I run nothing but renthal chain n sprockets and i'm getting between 20-25 hours of hard motoing on them, but that's a 13/48 gearing. :lol::thumbsup:

You must be riding nothing but SX with that set up?? I run nothing but renthal chain n sprockets and i'm getting between 20-25 hours of hard motoing on them, but that's a 13/48 gearing. :lol::thumbsup:

lol, There arent any MX tracks where he is from.

lol, There arent any MX tracks where he is from.

After seeing where he's located at, I guess he's doing ICE MOUNTAIN HILL CLIMBS.. :lol::thumbsup:

Ive been running renthal sprockets & same did chain as you for a couple years now on my 450r & get excellent service life & have never had a tooth break off a renthal sprocket. I remove & clean my chain after every trip to the track or trail ridin & use a soft bristle brush to clean the sprockets as well. Depending on the size of your fingers you might be running your chain to loose. I've found as may others have that 450r's need the chain run a bit tighter than spec's. Especially if you dont want to hear the common chain slap on the slider. I run about 1 1/2 inch's of slack measured at the rear of the upper slider with the bike on a stand with the rear wheel off the ground. Any more than that results in chain slap noise. Its a fact that aluminum sprockets wear faster than steel ones but ive found that you can get good life from aluminum sprockets if one puts some extra work into caring for them. Neglect them & they wear fast. Id also check rear wheel alignment & dont always trust the markings. Measure it on both sides of the bike.

you are to loose on your chain adjustment. Get into the manual again and review it. 2 fingers is what I use to stay in spec

loose is better than too tight.. and the lower swingarm guide dictates how the chain goes onto the rear sprocket anyway.

So wait, I have a 98 cr250 I just got and I need to do chain/sprockets soon. I need to stay away from the aluminum ones and be sure to buy steel? Where's the best place to get the xring chains that are colored along with sprockets?

Also what else should I stay away from because I am finding like steel sprocket and o ring chain kits on ebay for $50...and that's both sprockets and chain, so I just don't want to buy something that's not good quality.

Edited by BlackCR25098

so is there a better setup i should be using then? i ride nothing but mx tracks. honestly the reason i buy aluminum is for the anodized color, i guess im goin to just buy a steel sprocket with did x-ring??

so is there a better setup i should be using then? i ride nothing but mx tracks. honestly the reason i buy aluminum is for the anodized color, i guess im goin to just buy a steel sprocket with did x-ring??

Ironman or I prefer sunstar works z. Either way, you can't go wrong. Did vt2 if you want a sealed chain, rkmxz4 if you want a standard.

What about these steel sprockets and chain kits you can buy on ebay that are like $50 and includes everything?

I would think a steel sprocket is a steel sprocket...Not much setting anyone apart...I think it's the chain that more so matters on brand name? Correct me If I'm wrong though, just trying to learn as I'll be doing mine very soon.

What about these steel sprockets and chain kits you can buy on ebay that are like $50 and includes everything?

I would think a steel sprocket is a steel sprocket...Not much setting anyone apart...I think it's the chain that more so matters on brand name? Correct me If I'm wrong though, just trying to learn as I'll be doing mine very soon.

Your wrong!

Sweet. How about some info? A little ex-pla-na-ti-on.

There are various grades of steel on the market, cheap steel creates a cheap product. Cheap products will work, but the idea that you will probably go through sprockets faster and a chain that stretchs quicker seems kinda counter productive seeing how you could possibly spend the same amount for either in the long run but with more risk with the cheap stuff. AKA, a broken chain or sprocket over a large triple! Kinda like a $50 dollar no name helmet vs a $500 Shoei, yes, they are both helmets but other then the obvious they are built completely different, different materials, different testing, etc. etc. Which would you trust?

There is cheap steel (soft) and there is good quality steel (hard). I trashed a primary drive steel (soft) in less then 2 months with a good did xring. Just installed a front and rear Supersprox (Hard) and a renthal chain today. That setup will last longer. Should have went with the ironman (hardest) though.