Sign in to follow this  

SM tire selection for long distance -3000miles...

Bike: 2009 DRZsm 400

So I've convinced myself to take a road trip this next spring. Thinking of heading away from FARGO...traveling my way down to the grand canyon, then snaking back up through Wyoming, roughly 3600 miles or so. Anyway, I have about 3k miles on the stock tires and have want to refresh with something better.

I have searched for the last two hours on tires. There will by VERY little, if any, dirt riding on this trip. I know, not using the bike to its full potential, yada yada. If I could I would buy a BMW FS for the street but I'm not that rich so I'll work with what I have.

It sounds like the Avon distanzias are the way to go. But in multiple TT and ADVrider threads I never found an actual answer to what version gets the maximum mileage. 150/60? 150/70? Heard one may last 2000 miles, the other may last 8000+ miles. Then vice versa in the next post. And I haven't found much about the front selection at all.

If anyone with these tires or in the know could help me out I would greatly appreciate it! And when my route and dates come a little closer to fruition I will announce it and see if anyone wants to join me if I'm passing you by! Thanks!

the avons come in two different compounds.. the 150/60 is the SM compound that is a little softer.

the 150/70 is the dual sport compound and is harder rubber which would last longer.

both are good tires but might you consider something cheaper?

pilot power 2c or even the pilot road..

http://www.bikebandit.com/michelin-pilot-road-2-motorcycle-tire

i would like to try these one day

http://www.bikebandit.com/michelin-pilot-road-3-motorcycle-tire

My shinko 009 raven has worn like iron over the part 1000 miles with half of it being sideways on gravel roads.

It has fantastic grip cold or hot as well, I'd buy it again but its a 160 and id like to try a 150 next.

My shinko 009 raven has worn like iron over the part 1000 miles with half of it being sideways on gravel roads.

It has fantastic grip cold or hot as well, I'd buy it again but its a 160 and id like to try a 150 next.

its just too bad that the ravens dont come in a 150 in and profile:foul:

they worked great for me too. i got tons of mileage out of the ravens.

I used BattleAx (sp?) on my r1100r, and got 10k on them. I was mostly touring at the time. I've heard good things about the pilots too, but never tried them.

I'm currently running the regular distanzia 150/70

I'm at 13 000 miles on it and it'll be good for a while.

The hint for long lasting is to run at 36psi.

I had another distanzia before, rode it at 27psi and it lasted 11 000 miles.

Bike: 2009 DRZsm 400

So I've convinced myself to take a road trip this next spring. Thinking of heading away from FARGO...traveling my way down to the grand canyon, then snaking back up through Wyoming, roughly 3600 miles or so. Anyway, I have about 3k miles on the stock tires and have want to refresh with something better.

I have searched for the last two hours on tires. There will by VERY little, if any, dirt riding on this trip. I know, not using the bike to its full potential, yada yada. If I could I would buy a BMW FS for the street but I'm not that rich so I'll work with what I have.

It sounds like the Avon distanzias are the way to go. But in multiple TT and ADVrider threads I never found an actual answer to what version gets the maximum mileage. 150/60? 150/70? Heard one may last 2000 miles, the other may last 8000+ miles. Then vice versa in the next post. And I haven't found much about the front selection at all.

If anyone with these tires or in the know could help me out I would greatly appreciate it! And when my route and dates come a little closer to fruition I will announce it and see if anyone wants to join me if I'm passing you by! Thanks!

My Avon Distanzias are Dual Sport compound (vs. the supermoto compound I believe that will make the biggest difference in longevity). My last rear lasted me about 10,000 miles, and my front is at 14,000 and counting.

http://youtu.be/TF_s7RBfXZU

I'm currently running the regular distanzia 150/70

I'm at 13 000 miles on it and it'll be good for a while.

The hint for long lasting is to run at 36psi.

I had another distanzia before, rode it at 27psi and it lasted 11 000 miles.

I wouldn't drive very aggressively with that high psi.

Sounds like a fun ride. I think you'll be suprised with how well the DRZ is on a long trip. I recommend heated grips, some sort of pad for the seat, a rack, and some good tunes. Wouldn't any touring tire be good?

I'm planning on purchasing a seat concepts seat, bicycle shorts, cee baileys wind screen. Not sure what the rack situation is yet. May try to mount my old XL350 rack on my drz somehow...to save money. I've got a pretty nice Marmot full size backpack that I'm thinking of strapping to that hypothetical rack, again, to save some costs. Although I've been tempted to buy the KLR bags I've seen at my local dealer. Just a Velcro connected deal that could very easily be made to mate with the drz.

And yes, I've looked around/followed advice of previous posts (thank you!) and think I may go with a cheaper, more street oriented tire like the Pilot Road 2's.

I think I'm going to stick with the stock tank and just buy a couple 33oz MSR bottles as a backup reserve...to save costs (see a trend here??) I'll be traveling through many towns and don't think I will be without the option to fill up at least occasionally, besides the extra stops to gas up will be welcomed to stretch the legs.

I've got the whole winter now to prep the bike...still haven't done the loctite fixes. Still have to pull the swingarm off and grease her up. Other than that, maybe add a voltmeter. Figure out a decent GPS and mount to buy. I've just recently done the buell headlight mod (BTW! I came across a couple "how to's" for that mod and both had the low/high beam wires backwards! YELLOW is low, WHITE is high!!). I also want to put on a louder horn just because I will be getting very bored very soon not tinkering! And why not, right?

IMO investing in a fuel tank with more capacity is more important than a seat. You'll loose a lot of time searching for gas stations or stopping for fueling with your MSR bottles.

FIVEWIDE: That's not that bad, you can still ride aggressively... Maybe not on a track but on the street that's ok.

Something sport oriented but dual compound would be good, like the Pilot Power 2CT or Bridgestone Battlax BT-016. I had a great experience with the BT-016 on the back for 5k miles or so and it wasnt anywhere near worn when i sold the wheels.

IMO investing in a fuel tank with more capacity is more important than a seat. You'll loose a lot of time searching for gas stations or stopping for fueling with your MSR bottles.

+1

I've lived in Wyoming, and have spent a lot of time traveling in the Mtn West. Gas stations can be few and far between.

Yes that's half inch copper tubing, total cost $10. I can pick the bike up and pull it with this rack.

Picture112.jpg

I went to Menards and bought a bit for drilling holes in acrylic. I raise the CeeBailey screen a few inches so the wind hits me just above the bottom of my helmet. I epoxied the bolts to the fairing and use wing nuts so the windshield comes off rather easily. I also have two strips of aluminum to brace the fairing. The windshield is tilted a little forward so that it doesn't hit me in the head going up steep hills.

Picture219.jpg

Picture116.jpg

In my opinion a bigger gas tank is much more important after you've added the FCR carb. With the stock carb and the 3x3 you will get excellent mileage.