Sign in to follow this  

What should I get, a 2012 250 sx or xc for MX?

So I race the A class in CO, want to stay on a 2 stroke, and very well may make my next bike a KTM.

I use to Race a 06 RM 250, and now race a 2010 YZ 250.

I feel, though ratings show RM's have the better handling, that my YZ handles better, but my RM have a bit more top end.

I am at the point that I don't know if I want to put money in mods in my YZ or buy a new KTM. And with the incredibly high HP and new linkage on the 2012 KTM 2t's and Yamaha re-releasing the 2001 YZ 250 for the 12th year in a row aside for a few small suspension tweaks n such, Orange is looking like the obvious choice.

But do I get the 250 sx or 250 xc???

P.S. As far as gearing, I kept my RM stock, but I geared up my YZ taking 2 teeth off the rear sprocket to help the gears carry longer.

P.S. I rode a buddies 04 KTM 250 I think sx and it only had an after market silencer, was geared way to low (his 3rd gear was like my 2nd) yet blew the doors off my YZ!!

Feedback please!!:lol::):)

Go with the XC and get the SX head and ignition if you want a more abrupt powerband. They produce the same amount of HP but the XC is really smooth. Of course the SX is lighter due to lack of electric starter, 6 speed and oversized tank. Im coming off a 08 YZ 250 as my race bike and the new KTMs with the link are awesome. I find the chassis on the KTM isnt as stable as my YZ but I added a stabilizer and all my troubles went away. I race expert off-road but I practice on a motocross track. I dabbled a little in MX racing but its just not my thing.

Imho, if you're strictly looking for a moto bike, I'd go with the sx. I ride a 2010 250sx. I dabble with some offroading but mainly track. The sx is lighter handling, very adjustable power delivery and the newest versions have long power. I weigh about 200lbs. I added 1 tooth in the rear and do ok on the starts. I've never been a holeshot guy but I'm usually towards the front (at least for a little while). I've messed around with different sprocket combos, but I usually stay close to stock gearing.

btw, the sx is not only lighter, but cheaper to buy too. A guy I ride with has a 2011 300xc. He races dez/enduros. He took his electric starter off to save the weight...

oh and I used to race a 06 rm250. I eventually had Eric Gorr build it in to a firebreathing 295cc motor. I got my 1st (and only) class win on it right after (and almost holeshotted too). I will take my 2010 250sx over the rm. The build quality and components are top notch. The engineering is functional and easy to work on. Parts are compatible with a wide range of years and readily available.

I think the only thing I miss is a kickstand...lol.

250XC is an incredible bike. But if you're serious about moto, get the SX for the closed-chamber forks that will take big hits better than the more supple open-chambers on the offroad bikes.

The xc has closed chamber forks, only the xcw is open.

But don't try to out smart KTM, they make a bike for nearly every riding style. Buy the one made for how you ride. That's the beauty of KTM, it's not one type fits all.

I think the only thing I miss is a kickstand...lol.

Kickstand? What? My RM didn't have a kickstand...

SX all the way. You don't need or want all the extra weight of the 18"wheel, the kickstand, the estart crap...PLUS you would have to pay alot more AND mod the XC engine to get the SX!! It's a no brainer imho.

Yup,,,no brainer here.SX....50 Horsepower,217lbs,5 speed tranny with a close ratio.The 2012 250 sx IS a motocross machine!!!!

Go with the XC and get the SX head and ignition if you want a more abrupt powerband. They produce the same amount of HP but the XC is really smooth. Of course the SX is lighter due to lack of electric starter, 6 speed and oversized tank. Im coming off a 08 YZ 250 as my race bike and the new KTMs with the link are awesome. I find the chassis on the KTM isnt as stable as my YZ but I added a stabilizer and all my troubles went away. I race expert off-road but I practice on a motocross track. I dabbled a little in MX racing but its just not my thing.

I'm an off road guy and bought the 2012 250sx, smoothest motor I have ever been on that's stock. I have it set on the mild ignition map. Perhaps the other map is different. I kept hearing from people about putting on a flywheel weight, no need, it's that SMOOTH.

So if you want to save money, and think e start is stupid, get the the sx. The only reason to get a xc is the 6th gear, and a higher stator output for lights. I need neither and get a lighter bike to boot, and at 2k less:thumbsup:

I'm an off road guy and bought the 2012 250sx, smoothest motor I have ever been on that's stock. I have it set on the mild ignition map. Perhaps the other map is different. I kept hearing from people about putting on a flywheel weight, no need, it's that SMOOTH.

So if you want to save money, and think e start is stupid, get the the sx. The only reason to get a xc is the 6th gear, and a higher stator output for lights. I need neither and get a lighter bike to boot, and at 2k less:thumbsup:

I agree with everyone on getting the SX over the XC. In canada the XC is only a grand more so for the 6th gear, oversized tank, lighting capabilities and electric start are worth it! To put those items on a SX would cost way over a 1000 vs putting a head and ignition on a XC. As for weight, the SX is coming in a at 212lbs and the XC at 229lbs. Just my 2 cents

2K LESS??!!! WHAT?? the xc's are 8899??!! Are you KIDDING??

MSRP is $ 8149.00 US for the 2012 250xc.

2K LESS??!!! WHAT?? the xc's are 8899??!! Are you KIDDING??
Yup, you add tax title etc, I'm hearing just over 9k is a good deal. Two strokes are hot now and dealers are asking top dollar and getting it. Thats here in az and our taxes are pretty high. elsewhere might be different.

I went with the SX a couple weeks ago, although you should start calling around to some dealers if you want to get one. If you get a chance to put a down payment on one, do it.

The only KTM dealer for about 100km from me got 5 250SX's this year and I bought the 5th one. Although the dealers will be getting their inventory schedule on when they are getting more bikes so you may have some options.