Sign in to follow this  

Quad for my girlfriend $1200 range

Looking for something easy to ride for her around $1000-$1200, 00' & up Honda 250 Trx comes to mind because of the semi-auto trans. Need something that will somewhat keep up with my yz250 and easy for her to ride. Shes a beginner, never rode before....

Looking for something easy to ride for her around $1000-$1200, 00' & up Honda 250 Trx comes to mind because of the semi-auto trans. Need something that will somewhat keep up with my yz250 and easy for her to ride. Shes a beginner, never rode before....

...that is a huge gap!.....I would get one good quad (not a trx250) and share it. The yz is pretty cool and fast....but....what are you really looking for?.....

They don't have to be even right up next to each other on the trails, but... I don't want something she is scared of to ride, or something that is too technical to ride. Has to be a little scary and a little easy at the same time.

Do she have any expirence with a manual transmission? Like on a car? If she "gets" the concept, I'd say a Yamaha warrior/raptor or honda 400ex. Even the z400s are suitable for a beginner, you just need to get her used to how it shifts and rides before you start on the real technical stuff. The Mojave 250 is a fast fun little quad as well. It would be easier to get her used to shifting from the get-go. I say this because I know a couple girls that started on semi-auto quads that never "got" the shifting thing. IE: stuck on a steep uphill becuase they never downshifted. Better to not have the "put it in gear and go" mentality. Find the newest 3-400cc quad that you can, and start her out with the basics. Finding the grab point on the clutch, getting it to move, going through the gears, etc. Or get her a ride on one, and let her steer you in the direction she wants to go. Explain the positives and the negative of the auto clutch, manual transmission, etc. I learned on a KFX400 in the middle of winter with 8" of snow on the ground. I got no mercy from the boys. It all depends on HER really. I like sport quads but I know lots of girls that prefer utility quads. Try to stay away from buying something that will hold her back power-wise.

And whatever you get, set it up for her! From the controls to the shocks. Clutch pull, shift lever, throttle, bar position, etc. It can make all the different in the world. And might I suggest something with REVERSE :lol:

No experience with a manual trans, shes needs something easy right now I think. This will be her first bike, and first time riding. I will definitely set it up how she likes. Just want something for me and her to get out to the trails with.

the trx250 is a great beginner bike you dont want her to get overwhelemd with having too much thrown at her too fast my little brother rode one for a little it kept up with a wolverine mine is actually for sale right now

If you can get her a ride on a couple different machines, it would be much easier to suggest something. I learned on a KFX400, I've ridden a bunch of differnt quads and if I was looking to get another one, it'd be a Polaris Outlaw 525 IRS. I know two girls that are completely comtent on thier 400exs. One has a '99 and she's about 100lbs, needless to say she cant hardly turn it around by herself, but wants nothing to do with the bfs LTR450. Another girls got a 350 raptor and likes that alot. My sister had a 250ex and sold it to get her King Quad. Another girl couldnt get the hang of a Bear Tracker 250, wrecked her husbands KTM525, and now has a 400 sportsman that suits her perfectly. Another girl I know loves her 500 scrambler. I know two husband/wife couples that ride KFX700s. If all depends on your girlfriends really. She will be the biggest deciding factor. We can tell you the best entry level auto clutch quad and she might hate it. What terrain you ride is also important.

Look for an early 90's TRX250X they are nearly identical to a 300ex and it is 5 speed manual transmission, however the clutch is super smooth and wont stall easily. Or if you wanted to go a 2 stroke route, you could get your hands on a cheap blaster easily.

I would say go for the Honda 250ex, especially if she has never ridden.

My girlfriend has an '03 trx250ex and she loves it. She had never ridden a quad of a motorcycle before, and has never driven a manual car. Everyone told her to get a 400 or larger, but my dad(who rides) and I suggested the 250.

Sure, it cant keep up with a 400+ quad, let alone any full size bike, but she is not scared to ride it, especially since she only gets to a couple times a year due to school. It can make it up most of the sand hills that we go to with the right finesse and is dead reliable. Not to mention lighter, smaller(easier to store and haul), and runs all day on less than a tank of gas.

I am huge on not over buying bikes. I don't like the argument that buying bugger later is a hassle. Its the "better to ride a slow bike fast, than a fast bike slow" theory.

Funny thing is, I really like riding it too. Not quite as thrilling of a ride as my 520 but still plenty fast to have a lot of fun.

Ok, I'm done with my rant :bonk:

I recommend the Yamaha Blaster. They are cheap, easy to find parts for, reliable, and they are extremely easy to learn on. The clutch is very smooth so it is easy to take off. It is easy to control but it can get going pretty fast.

Definitely go with the trx250. NEVER any maintenence issues and will keep up in the trails. Also easy to learn on and plenty of power