Sign in to follow this  

Flat Slide on a TY175

Has anyone put a 24mm Flat Slide carb on a TY175?

I'm thinking about putting one on but is it worth it?

I've already done most of the mods you can do to a Stock Ty motor.

Ie.. 200cc big bore kit and porting to the jug and Head.

SM exhaust and short head pipe.

Alum. air box for better air flow.

Better reeds and reed spacer plate.

Some of the weight removed from flywheel.

Don't get me wrong the motor runs great. And pulls like a freight train.

I would just like it to pick up the revs a little faster.

IMG_0151.jpg

There some PWK 28mm Chinese knock offs in 26 & 28mm that have had good reports compared to the PWK in Trials Central and TT, and they are much cheaper. I don't remember if a 24mm version is available, do a search on ebay.

It seems like adding a reed spacer would lower crank case pressure and soften bottom end pickup. When you added the spacer did you get more bottom end torque?

It seems like adding a reed spacer would lower crank case pressure and soften bottom end pickup. When you added the spacer did you get more bottom end torque?

The spacer I used is between the Rubber carb manifold and the reed plate, not the reed plate and cylinder. I found that it works better this way. And yes it help the bottom end. I also use the Rubber manifold from a RD350 with the "ears" cut off. I also blended the spacer to match the rubber manifold on one side and the reed block on the other side. The stock Rubber manifold is off set to the left and the Rd350 manifold is centered.

Your are right if the spacer is between the reed block and the cylinder it would increase the volume of the crank case and you loss some of the bottom end.

Now the tuning will start again when the new Flat Slide get here.

Well the new Mikuni Flat Slide TM 24mm Carburetor got here.

After having to make a collar so the new carb would fit in to the manifold.

On to the bike it went. The only trouble is the choke and air bleed screw are on the wrong side. It was ready to go.

First test ride was great.

Revs a lot faster then with the stock carb and still pulls like a train down low, but hit the gas and it goes and pulls right out to max revs. No more going flat in the upper revs.

More like a modern engine.

Was the old stock carb worn out maybe.

Was the old stock carb too small maybe.

I would have to say it was the best mod yet to the bike.

All of the mods to this point help, but this one really woke the motor up.

that TY is so boss. i have a 74 ty 250, and i love riding that thing around but i have nothing decked out to that extreme like you do. really really a cool bike you got!!!!!

Thanks

I am glad you like it.

It's taking two years to get it to where it is now.

As a side note.. It is now down to 131 pounds.

And any one wanting a Fiberglass tank and seat like the one on it.

Please let me know as I'm going to be making some more.

The fiberglass seat,tank is 6 pounds lighter then the stock setup.

Hey WV - you may want to check that scale for accuracy....Nice bike though.:bonk: Very nice job on the Fiberglass seat/tank. How much?

i might be interested if it fits my 250...?

also i few questions, where did you get that exhaust? you make it yourself? does it cut weight enough to invest in one?

plus i really really need new back shocks! i weight about 190ish do you know where to get some good shocks? i have heard of BJ racing and they got good stuff but maybe you know a little more witch i bet you do taking a look at your bike?

and i know im asking a lot of questions about your bike but do you have more pics? i'm really interested in seeing the other side.

i might be interested if it fits my 250...?

also i few questions, where did you get that exhaust? you make it yourself? does it cut weight enough to invest in one?

plus i really really need new back shocks! i weight about 190ish do you know where to get some good shocks? i have heard of BJ racing and they got good stuff but maybe you know a little more witch i bet you do taking a look at your bike?

and i know im asking a lot of questions about your bike but do you have more pics? i'm really interested in seeing the other side.

The shorty front pipe I made myself, I used 1 5/8 exhaust tubing that was per-bent from summit racing, that I cut and weld together. It did help the motor out. But the main reason for doing it was the stock pipe was dented real bad and it weights a ton. The rear shocks are Betor's with 50 pound springs. I'm at 200 pounds and with the shocks layed over I could bottem out the 40 pound springs. I them got from feabay. I find a lot of good bits on there but most if the bits come from England's feabay. I will post some more pic when the weather will let me take some more.

I have had the bike on a good scale and the 131 pounds is right. As I said it has taken 2 years to get it there. The bike has Magnesium side cases, aluminum exhaust. All of the wheel spacers are also of aluminum not the stock steel parts, the stem bolt for the triple trees is now Aluminum again not the stock steel one. The tank and seat and side panel are made from fiberglass not steel, the rear sprocket is also Alum. The front and rear hubs have been turn down on a lathe in order to lighten them. The air box is Alum. All of the extra mounting taps have been removed from the frame as has the rear fender hoop. Both axles and the swing arm bolt have been replaced with Alum. The damper rods in the ty250 forks have also been replaced again with Alum ones. Most of the nuts and bolts that hold stuff on ,like the fenders, shocks are made again from Alum. It's not the pounds you take off a bike it's all the oz that add up.

I'm a Tool Maker by trade and I have a full machine shop to work with.

The shorty front pipe I made myself, I used 1 5/8 exhaust tubing that was per-bent from summit racing, that I cut and weld together. It did help the motor out. But the main reason for doing it was the stock pipe was dented real bad and it weights a ton. The rear shocks are Betor's with 50 pound springs. I'm at 200 pounds and with the shocks layed over I could bottem out the 40 pound springs. I them got from feabay. I find a lot of good bits on there but most if the bits come from England's feabay. I will post some more pic when the weather will let me take some more.

I have had the bike on a good scale and the 131 pounds is right. As I said it has taken 2 years to get it there. The bike has Magnesium side cases, aluminum exhaust. All of the wheel spacers are also of aluminum not the stock steel parts, the stem bolt for the triple trees is now Aluminum again not the stock steel one. The tank and seat and side panel are made from fiberglass not steel, the rear sprocket is also Alum. The front and rear hubs have been turn down on a lathe in order to lighten them. The air box is Alum. All of the extra mounting taps have been removed from the frame as has the rear fender hoop. Both axles and the swing arm bolt have been replaced with Alum. The damper rods in the ty250 forks have also been replaced again with Alum ones. Most of the nuts and bolts that hold stuff on ,like the fenders, shocks are made again from Alum. It's not the pounds you take off a bike it's all the oz that add up.

I'm a Tool Maker by trade and I have a full machine shop to work with.

Here are some pic of the bike before the tank Was painted

http://i1002.photobucket.com/albums/af141/bestrcpilot/IMG_0137.jpg

http://i1002.photobucket.com/albums/af141/bestrcpilot/IMG_0136.jpg

http://i1002.photobucket.com/albums/af141/bestrcpilot/IMG_0135.jpg

http://i1002.photobucket.com/albums/af141/bestrcpilot/IMG_0134.jpg

I hope you like them

Wvtrials

Wow - That thing is a fly weight! I was certain 131 was a typo. :bonk:

Im shocked you could pair it down to that - and im sure being a tool maker is what it takes. Nice work:thumbsup:

Wow - That thing is a fly weight! I was certain 131 was a typo. :bonk:

Im shocked you could pair it down to that - and im sure being a tool maker is what it takes. Nice work:thumbsup:

Thanks laser17

Everyone that I have let ride it has fell in love with it, and want me to work on they bikes.

I'm working on a carbon-fiber kick-stand for it now. To replace the Alum one that is on it now.

My goal is to get it down to less then 130 pounds. But that is going to take some more work with carbon fiber. And I think I will need to shave some of the gears in the trans and maybe taking out 5th and 6th gear????

I wonder if carbon fiber fork tubes would work?????

Carbon fiber handle bars???????

Carbon fiber swing arm?????????

As soon as I get some time after the holidays are over. I plan on making some more tank/seat up. I will let the people that asked about them now when and how much. I have a ty250 in the shop for a friend and I will see if my tank/seat fit it or can be made to fit. I think that it will will as a ty175 tank will fit on a ty250.

Wvtrial

I hope that everyone had a Good Xmas.

I got a little time over the Holidays to work on the Carbon-fiber kickstand and here is some pics.

http://i1002.photobucket.com/albums/af141/bestrcpilot/IMG_0162.jpg

http://i1002.photobucket.com/albums/af141/bestrcpilot/IMG_0163.jpg

http://i1002.photobucket.com/albums/af141/bestrcpilot/IMG_0160.jpg

The Kick Stand came in at 9oz

Have fun and get out and ride.

Wow, that's pretty dang light!

If I were you though, I would be careful about using aluminum bolts. In steel, you can pull out the threads, and in aluminum you can get them seized something awful. Although if you've already installed them you probably already know that! Not to mention it has a much higher tendency to crack from fatigue than steel. You don't see aluminum fasteners often... Have you considered Titanium? Usually that's the go to material for fasteners when they need to be lighter than steel. They are pretty pricey though

I just finished a Ti dogbone for the linkage on my Montesa. It ended up being 7 grams lighter than the aluminum one with approximately the same flex under load and it will be MUCH more resistant to scratches and dents than the aluminum one.

I love to see other guys making custom parts for their bikes. Keep up the good work!