Sign in to follow this  

Thinking of buying a 400E

I currently own a 2002/2007 KTM 400EXC hybrid. I used to adore this bike, but then a funny thing happened. I got a chance to ride a stock 2000 DRZ 400E recently that my friend owns. I was very surprised at how much more I enjoyed the experience of riding his bike vs. mine. There was no vibration at all through the handlebars, it was quieter, much plusher suspension and the seat didn't torture me. Ever since that test ride I have been re-evaluating who I am as a rider. I have spent thousands of dollars on this bike, too, getting it dialed in for my weight and riding style. Damn. I'm not even sure why I posted this here. I guess I'm just looking for comments. -Paul

IMG_3385.jpg

Perhaps a time for a change??..I don't think you will regret getting an E..Generally, they are a good thing if you can find one in good condition....

I don't think you guys in the States can buy new "Real E's"...:lol:

This is a DRZ400 site so naturally we are biased toward the Suzuki. Even so the Suzuki has its limitations as does the KTM but maybe different ones. I think the answer of if you would do better on or like more the Suzuki vs the KTM depends a lot on how you would use it. It is quite, it is smooth, it is user friendly, it is plush and it is heavy.

This is a DRZ400 site so naturally we are biased toward the Suzuki. Even so the Suzuki has its limitations as does the KTM but maybe different ones. I think the answer of if you would do better on or like more the Suzuki vs the KTM depends a lot on how you would use it. It is quite, it is smooth, it is user friendly, it is plush and it is heavy.

Yeah...I guess you probably need to look at good points verses bad when considering any motorcycle and if it will suit your needs....

My KTM is probably about 20 pounds lighter, but the DRZ does not feel any heavier to me. I love the look of my KTM more than I enjoy actually riding it.

Correction. After a little internet searching it appears that the DRZ as delivered is only 1 pound heavier than the KTM. Who knew.

Correction. After a little internet searching it appears that the DRZ as delivered is only 1 pound heavier than the KTM. Who knew.

That's surprising..I thought it would have been more...

There are only three KTM's that interest me.. KTM 300 XC-W, KTM 200 XC, and the new KTM 350 XCF-W. I've ridden the first two a bunch.. And will the third when I get home.

I like them for what the DRZ is not... I bought a new RM250 as it was NOS, and just to good a deal not to get.. But I think after the DRZ485Sn build.. The RM will be sold and a pair, of KTM's will replace it.. both 2 strokes.. the 300 and a little 200.

That said,,,, as others have noted.. the DRZ may be a better ride for you or not, just depends on what you want from it..It'll be a sad day if you make the swap, only to realize the KTM was a better fit for what you wanted..

I currently own a 2002/2007 KTM 400EXC hybrid. I used to adore this bike, but then a funny thing happened. I got a chance to ride a stock 2000 DRZ 400E recently that my friend owns. I was very surprised at how much more I enjoyed the experience of riding his bike vs. mine. There was no vibration at all through the handlebars, it was quieter, much plusher suspension and the seat didn't torture me. Ever since that test ride I have been re-evaluating who I am as a rider. I have spent thousands of dollars on this bike, too, getting it dialed in for my weight and riding style. Damn. I'm not even sure why I posted this here. I guess I'm just looking for comments. -Paul

IMG_3385.jpg

ya, that race ready wicked machine is a good deal different. i realized just how much i missed the drz's squish suspension yesterday riding the fz to school.... holy crap the road is rough !

how's the maintenance on the katoom ? (this isn't a jab)

Maintenance is not bad on the RFS engine (2000 to 2007). Oil changes are a little harder because KTMs have very difficult filters and screens to get at, but other than that I don't think they are any different than the DRZ. Stainless steel valves that do not require shims, etc. Not much maintenence. I guess the biggest difference is engine vibration. On the KTM it is there a little. On the DRZ it seems to be sewing machine smooth. As for two strokes, I love them, grew up on them, but won't go back because of the vibes. I owned a 2004 KTM 300 EXC and it was a blast, but tiring.

*snip* There was no vibration at all through the handlebars, it was quieter, much plusher suspension and the seat didn't torture me. *snip* -Paul

I agree with 99% of what you said here... BUT I can't help pointing out that you may need to get your ass examined, as there is something very, VERY wrong with it.

:lol:

Just to set the record straight here... My DRZ400E weighed in at 292 ready to ride. My 2002 400EXC weighs in at 260 ready to ride.

Although I miss my 400E in a few ways - there's a heck of a lot more than 1 pound difference between the 2. Methinks the Japanese are a little more forgiving in their weight estimates than the Austrians.

Not putting the 400E down - it's a heck of a bike (one of my favorites) and I've said so on the KTM sites as well. It's ONLY issue is it's porkiness.... and lack of a 6th gear....and no kickstarter.

Just to set the record straight here... My DRZ400E weighed in at 292 ready to ride. My 2002 400EXC weighs in at 260 ready to ride.

Although I miss my 400E in a few ways - there's a heck of a lot more than 1 pound difference between the 2. Methinks the Japanese are a little more forgiving in their weight estimates than the Austrians.

Not putting the 400E down - it's a heck of a bike (one of my favorites) and I've said so on the KTM sites as well. It's ONLY issue is it's porkiness.... and lack of a 6th gear....and no kickstarter.

Thanks for clearing that up. I wanted to weigh both bikes and had no way to do it. Recently I got my buddies DRZ stuck in a rut and needed to lift the back wheel out. Holy smokes is that beast heavy. Much heavier than I thought before posting this thread. :bonk:

IMG_3385.jpg

I know what you mean. I have had lots of racebikes, including a 400EXC, 520EXC and I sold my TE510 this summer.

Race bike vs trail bike. All out performance vs comfort/reliability.

I bought a DRZ400E after selling my TE510 and enjoy it much more, now that my riding has changed to more relaxed rides and some commuting. For a dirtbike, the DRZ is good for commuting. The TE510 was not.

my 2002 ktm400exc is about 283lbs ready to ride.

DRZ will surely feel heavier in really tight situations, but on faster moving trails/roads it doesn't feel heavy to me. I have to say my DRZ has been easy on repairs and parts are cheaper than the ktm I previously owned. KTMs are pretty cool, but DRZ fits my casual riding.

IMG_3385.jpg

I would definitely go for the Drz E I own an 03 and tried to sell it twice but backed out,that's how much fun it is such a fun bike worth every penny!