Sign in to follow this  

Looking into a new bike, mostly dirt and a little road to get to the track/trails

Hey guys,

Im looking into buying myself a new bike next year sometime, "Doing research in advance" I will be running on dirt ALLOT, But i need to be able to take it on the road without to many dramas. I do allot of trails but enjoy running on the MX tracks as-well. So decent suspension is a must. Also needs to have water cooling and electric leg. Motor wise needs to be reliable, Not something like a crf which i would have to redo the valves on every 4000km.

So far im looking at the ktm 525 exc 06/07 model. They fit the part great. Don't weigh to much and have a great motor, The only downside is oil changes "It is an RFS so its expected"

My price range it under $6000, $5000 and under is even better

All input is greatly appreciated :lol:

its hard to get best of all worlds on one bike. ktm seems to be the best option for a do-all bike sorry i cant help more. i have a 2000 ktm 520 havnt really had a chance to ride it yet

its hard to get best of all worlds on one bike. ktm seems to be the best option for a do-all bike sorry i cant help more. i have a 2000 ktm 520 havnt really had a chance to ride it yet

Please tell me how it goes after you spend some time on it. It is also on my list, Due to it being allot cheaper that the 525

Hey guys,

Im looking into buying myself a new bike next year sometime, "Doing research in advance" I will be running on dirt ALLOT, But i need to be able to take it on the road without to many dramas. I do allot of trails but enjoy running on the MX tracks as-well. So decent suspension is a must. Also needs to have water cooling and electric leg. Motor wise needs to be reliable, Not something like a crf which i would have to redo the valves on every 4000km.

So far im looking at the ktm 525 exc 06/07 model. They fit the part great. Don't weigh to much and have a great motor, The only downside is oil changes "It is an RFS so its expected"

My price range it under $6000, $5000 and under is even better

All input is greatly appreciated :lol:

There is no such thing as a "do it all" bike. There are certain bikes that are decent at 2 of the 3 conditions (off road, MX, Road)...such as a KTM XC on the track and trail...or a WR on the road and trail. Most bikes arent even versitile enough to do 2 of the 3, much less all 3 well...if this were not true, there wouldnt be so many models of bikes. So...if you buy a KTM 525, it will be good on the trails and road, but way too heavy for the track. The widely spaced gears also wont perform well on the track. The KTM RFS engine is one of the most high performance bulletproof engines ever built, in my opinion...its low maintenance compared to the typical 450. No offense, but if you are concerned about oil changes, you may want to spend your money elsewhere.

Thanks for the input :lol:, Looks like i will have to have a separate bike for the track then. And im not concerned about oil changes, Just would be better if you didn't have to change it so often. But thats the type of bike it is

Hmm, If all 3 isn't possible what would be good for under $5000?. I live on acres full of bush so lots of trail riding, But like to run me neighbors MX track. The MX side doesn't matter to much but decent shocks like the ktm's have would be nice. and i need to be able to register it. If i cant get it on the road its not what i want.

Hmm, If all 3 isn't possible what would be good for under $5000?. I live on acres full of bush so lots of trail riding, But like to run me neighbors MX track. The MX side doesn't matter to much but decent shocks like the ktm's have would be nice. and i need to be able to register it. If i cant get it on the road its not what i want.

Hmmm, does that bike exist? Old blinged up XR 250 or 400? DRZ? I know I wouldn't want to make that compromise!