Sign in to follow this  

Shifting Problem.

I just bought a klx in great condition that runs great but will not shift into gear at all. The guy I bought it from said it was the shift star, would the shift star do that? is it hard to change? and should I buy an aftermarket one or just get one from the dealer?

THANK YOU FOR THE HELP

simple install. Take off the clutch cover and you will see the shift star. I cant picture it off the top of my head but you may have to remove the clutch as well. Comes out with a simple allen key (6mm) I believe. The pins end up breaking off. I would look around for the broken pin in the clutch cover or bottom end. Get a billet one from classichonda/powersports store/ahp minis/tbolt or any other reputable pitbike site.

I pulled the side of the engine out yesterday and found the shift star, and it was missing two pegs on it, they broke off... I already ordered a new one from Kawasaki, thank you guys for your help. Thanks 03sik50 I appreciate the help.

not a problem. Just for future - order a hardened one from the sites I mentioned. They will not break. The stock kawi ones are meant for a 7 yr old putting around. The aftermarket ones are hardened billet aluminum.