Sign in to follow this  

KTM 150SX 150 xc Info Needed, Experts Inside Please

Hey Guys,

We are looking at picking up a couple 150sx or xc models used.

Is there anything we should keep an eye on with these models ?

I have read that we should avoid anything pre 09, or pre 150 designation (144) due to problems with the engines internally. How concerned should we be about this ? Is there any date codes to look for ?

Anyone that has done a 200 conversion comment on how it changed the feel of the bike. If I need more power, I like that this is an option but am worried about extra weight and lazy powerband due to using xc 200 parts. Does it actually add any weight ?

Whats a fair used price for 2009 or 2010 models in good condition ? They seem to be asking about 4200 for 08, 4500 or so for 09's used. The dealer in my area has new 09's but still wants 7200 out the door :)

I weigh 165 without gear and my girlfriend weighs 135 or 140 depending on the week (lol) . I hear I am a good weight for the bike out of the box but should look to get the suspension adjusted for her ?

Thanks for the advice,

Love teh forum :lol:

but am worried about extra weight and lazy powerband due to using xc 200 parts.

hahaha, that's a good one right thar!!

Of course the 200 parts will add weight, the jug and piston are bigger. However, it doesn't add a whole lot.

Are you talking Canadian $$?

You are a good weight for the 150. The 200 will give you a lot more bottom end grunt, but not likely a ton more top end.

The 144 was 2007/2008, in 2009 they moved over to being called a 150. So any 2009+ model year will be fine if you are concerned about the motor.

In terms of pricing, that varies on where you live. Here in California, 09+ 150's go for between 3000 and 4000 USD used in mint condition. I bought my first gen 144 for 2k, but it needed the motor re-built. So I've got like 2500 USD into it so far, which is still one hell of a lot less money then buying one complete.

The stock suspension depends on the year, they changed it over the years. But it doesn't make a difference really, anything you buy will still need to have the right springs installed.

I have the 11' 150sx. I bought it for my son. He is 14 and weighs 130lb. I had to get softer springs for him. I like to ride it as well. I weigh 240lb and it pulls me around like a mule! I ride an 06' 250sx and the 150 is not all that much slower than my bike. If I were to buy a new bike for me to ride I would get another 150sx and set it up for me. They are that much fun to ride.

I have the 11' 150sx. I bought it for my son. He is 14 and weighs 130lb. I had to get softer springs for him. I like to ride it as well. I weigh 240lb and it pulls me around like a mule! I ride an 06' 250sx and the 150 is not all that much slower than my bike. If I were to buy a new bike for me to ride I would get another 150sx and set it up for me. They are that much fun to ride.

does your son race mx?