Sign in to follow this  

gm windshield wiper issue

Before work I didnt clean enough snow out of where the wipers sit at rest on my 2002 buick regal. So when I eventually turned off the wipers, they could not sit all the way down.

Caused a hiccup or something, because now when I turn them off they first try to go down, but then hop up so they are vertically aligned with the windshield when turned off.

WIth the car off I tried to force them down to their normal at rest position, but as soon as I turned the car back on, they return to the vertical position.

Any suggestions on what to do to get them back to normal?

something in the linkage slipped or stripped, take the arms off, clean out the snow, then let it go through a cycle till it stops, reinstall the arms, see what happens, if not then you have some damage to the linkage.

something in the linkage slipped or stripped, take the arms off, clean out the snow, then let it go through a cycle till it stops, reinstall the arms, see what happens, if not then you have some damage to the linkage.

Agree, sounds like it slipped. Did you turn them on when they was frozen to the window?

May need to be re-clocked, this will be at the motor and its a crap shoot, ie just have to locate it till it right. You will get an idea of where it needs to be, but fine tuning will be just trial and error.

Had this problem with the wifes 2002 Grand Prix GTP. There is a tab near the gears for the wipers(hers was under a plastic cover on the drivers side). The tab was bent when there was too much resistance(ie snow). Bend tab back and you should be good to go. :lol:

No, not yet. The next day my check engine light came on, took it in to get it checked out at the GM dealer. Also had them give an estimate on the wipers.

They told me the wiper transmission needed replacement because a tab was broken off. Cost = $450 :lol:

Told them to leave it alone as it was still working. I am hoping to pull it apart tonight. Dont have much time on weekdays with 3 young kids and working long hours.

not for sure... but we have had a few of those the "crank arm" gets bent and it is a replaceable part..

pn 12494832.. it mounts right on the motor and times it..

gm bulletin 02 08 43 002

Not calling your GM a liar, but I would want to see that tab myself. If it is broke off, the above poster has the right idea and just replace what's broke, not the whole transmission. Good luck.:lol:

Got to it tonight, tab was not broken, just bent. Straightened it out and it works like new.

I hate taking cars to the dealership! Glad I passed on their $450 fix!

I'll be doing mine today. Third time it's bent & popped off. This time I'm welding a small reinforcement to it. Doesn't take long to fix, just an annoying problem I can do without.

Got to it tonight, tab was not broken, just bent. Straightened it out and it works like new.

I hate taking cars to the dealership! Glad I passed on their $450 fix!

I figured/hoped this would be the case. The metal used on that part is kinda soft, so when the stealership said it was broken it sounded a little fishy. Glad it worked out for you.:bonk:

I figured/hoped this would be the case. The metal used on that part is kinda soft, so when the stealership said it was broken it sounded a little fishy. Glad it worked out for you.:bonk:

and.... if it was broken, it would not have worked at all..

glad you got it..

IMHO... in these days and times, people need their cars fixed as cheap as possible, not ripped off..if you do your job right, and honestly, people come back.. otherwise.... you never see them again

i work at a gm dealership in parts and dont put up with that kinda crap at my store..

jay