LSC effect on reb.

Trying to tune out packing on my '06 yz250, 3-5th gear tight whoop sections. Found that lsc clicker seems to have more effect than moderate valving changes ( +C & -R ). Ex. no more packing at 17-out. Is a bouncy shock the price for higher speeds or should I limit lsc clicker setting & continue w/ valving changes? This is for off-road desert - mixed terrain.

Trying to tune out packing on my '06 yz250, 3-5th gear tight whoop sections. Found that lsc clicker seems to have more effect than moderate valving changes ( +C & -R ). Ex. no more packing at 17-out. Is a bouncy shock the price for higher speeds or should I limit lsc clicker setting & continue w/ valving changes? This is for off-road desert - mixed terrain.

IMO, You can dial out a "packing" sensation through compression.

I think comp. and rebound go hand in hand. With that said, You are 17 out on comp. so I would start addressing the valving to bring it back into a more workable/usable range. just my .02?

What causes you to believe that it is packing the rear suspension?

Good question gray. I think a lot of folks confuse packing with harshness. IMO the shock is very hard to articulate what is going on. Reducing compression can fix harshness.

Good question gray. I think a lot of folks confuse packing with harshness. IMO the shock is very hard to articulate what is going on. Reducing compression can fix harshness.
I asked that because Japanese bikes in general and Yamaha/KYB in particular normally have way too little initial rebound response as built in stock form. Beefing up the base of the rebound stack helps a lot.

On the '06 YZ250, I've seen the first 4 face shims (36x.15) replaced with 4 36x.30's with excellent results. On my own '06 YZ450, following advice from Dave Johnson at SMART, I replaced the first 7 of 14 36x.15's with 36x.30's and I couldn't believe how much better it was in the whoops at speed. This change kept the back end down and centered behind the front wheel. It actually does feel like it squats just a little when you run through a fast rough section, but the overall pitch of the chassis is very stable and flat by comparison to the original valving.

I asked that because Japanese bikes in general and Yamaha/KYB in particular normally have way too little initial rebound response as built in stock form. Beefing up the base of the rebound stack helps a lot.

On the '06 YZ250, I've seen the first 4 face shims (36x.15) replaced with 4 36x.30's with excellent results. On my own '06 YZ450, following advice from Dave Johnson at SMART, I replaced the first 7 of 14 36x.15's with 36x.30's and I couldn't believe how much better it was in the whoops at speed. This change kept the back end down and centered behind the front wheel. It actually does feel like it squats just a little when you run through a fast rough section, but the overall pitch of the chassis is very stable and flat by comparison to the original valving.

very interesting?

but what about jump faces? I like it when the rebound accelerates that fast

and catapults the rear end to the sky

Beautiful. James this is what you did to make my shock behave so well correct? I beleive (4) .30s were added and now my WP shock is stuck to the ground where it should be. Dave certainly does have the right idea in building this kind of rebound into his shocks. Confidence out of the corners to go wide open!!?

HS - 2 out, LS -17, R - 12. Sag 25/100. The compression adjuster has ported valve and FC spring. Started w/ Dave's setup & am going from there. If you never hit a high speed series of tight/peaked whoops youd think the shock was gold, it's plush w/ excellent bottoming resistance. Thru testing I was a little surprised at the effect on reb. of having the LS out that far, so am wondering how big a part that should have. I'm in new territory now w/ riding speeds getting pretty high - thanks to good suspension - wondering if the setup needs to be more of a major change - really fast shock.

Edited by dkbl5

very interesting?

but what about jump faces? I like it when the rebound accelerates that fast

and catapults the rear end to the sky

Not my concern because I don't do very much MX at all any more, and stability over very uneven ground at speed is what I'm primarily after. Personally, I think rear wheel thrust and speed should have more to do with launching off a jump than the shock unloading does.

HS - 2 out, LS -17, R - 12. Sag 25/100. The compression adjuster has ported valve and FC spring. Started w/ Dave's setup & am going from there. If you never hit a high speed series of tight/peaked whoops youd think the shock was gold, it's plush w/ excellent bottoming resistance. Thru testing I was a little surprised at the effect on reb. of having the LS out that far, so am wondering how big a part that should have. I'm in new territory now w/ riding speeds getting pretty high - thanks to good suspension - wondering if the setup needs to be more of a major change - really fast shock.

you have the reb. setup according to spi? so you've got much more than stock. if that's the case, then try to run the reb clicker out further. also, have you gone in with the comp clickers? here's what i'd try: 1.75 on the hs, and 12 on lsc 16reb. set sag at 105mm. this is where i'd start if i were going through whoops.