Sign in to follow this  

quick question

hey guys i had a quick question. how could i check if the fork cap sits correctly on the damper rod. if there is a gap - maybe due to a wrong positioned jam nut - it adds clicks to the rebound, which is what i think is happeneing to my 00 kx250. i have 28 clicks frome all the way out to all the way seated. although another member has the same thing going on i just wanna be sure you know. ive never really messed with my forks before so its new to me. any help would be greatly appriciated guys. thanks

AWESOME!!! now i understand. the visual really helped :lol: thanks a lot buddy

you're welcome!

please post your results also. As I said, could be normal (for some reasons) but could also be a gap there...

did the forks today. it took a couple clicks out of the range. there wasnt a gap where there should have ben like the picture stated. im gonna do a good ride and see if there is any difference and take the caps off again to see if the lock nut came loose. had a hard time tightening it the cap and lock nut both tighten the same direction lol

???? There should be no gap on the 2000 KX forks. Not quite sure what you're describing having a hard time tighteing the locknut. You tighten the locknut against the bottom of the fork cap and then tighten the fork cap into the upper fork tube. It should be very easy.

???? There should be no gap on the 2000 KX forks. Not quite sure what you're describing having a hard time tighteing the locknut. You tighten the locknut against the bottom of the fork cap and then tighten the fork cap into the upper fork tube. It should be very easy.

thats how they were when i took em apart. but from what im understanding looking at this http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=680904&highlight= there should be a gap between the cap and lock nut. the problem i was having is there was close to 30 clicks on the top adjuster. im not sure but ive never had a bike that had a 28-30 click adjustment range. im trying to reset it if its not right. if im wrong plese point me in the right direction lol.

thats how they were when i took em apart. but from what im understanding looking at this http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=680904&highlight= there should be a gap between the cap and lock nut.

are you serious :lol:

there must be a gap when the cap is seated to the rod, then of course the lock nut must be locked against the cap...

thread the cap on as far as it will go with the rebound fully out , then back the locknut upto the cap and tighten the 2 together , hold the rod with rubber faced pliers if it turns while you try to back the nut upto the cap

thread the cap on as far as it will go with the rebound fully out , then back the locknut upto the cap and tighten the 2 together , hold the rod with rubber faced pliers if it turns while you try to back the nut upto the cap

ok thanks buddy, that makes sense. i will do tht today. as i stated this is my first time ever working on suspension so its a learning process for me. now i know. thanks

are you serious :lol:

there must be a gap when the cap is seated to the rod, then of course the lock nut must be locked against the cap...

lol take it easy on me man. im new to working on suspension, how else do u learn but asking questions. now i now and wont make the same mistake again. thanks for the help man