Sign in to follow this  

super sprox anodized steel sprockets

anybody use these yet? I just ordered one as my bike is due. if any of you all are like me and just cant bring yourself to run an ungly steel sprocket even though the pretty aluminum sprocket wear really quickly, you may like these. they are hardened steel and anodized black. they look really nice. they are also cheaper than aluminum sprockets. i just paid $35 for the rear @ Rocky mountain. i'll post pics when i get it.

are you running aluminum now?if so post back if you notice any power changes,I dropped 1.6lbs on the chain/sprocket combo and it was snappier on the bottom.

very small change,I had a 12/47 and went to a 13/50.The difference surprised me and I went back to the 12/47 after 3 rides.The biggest difference was the 47 was aluminum and the 50 was steel.I figgured I would go steel to get longer out of the sprocket but the difference in bottom end made me switch back.So I bought a brand new 12/47 and chain for when the old 1's wear out and I have a brand new 13/50 sitting that will never be used.I weighed the both sets with chain and it was 1.6lbs difference,everybody said it wouldn't make any difference but seat of the pants tell me different.

here it is on the bike. looks pretty good for a steel sprocket. the color is kinda wierd though. almost a forest green color and not black. looks good though. i also run a heavy duty x-ring chain. my concern is durability so the extra weight doesnt bother me. i am tired of sprockets wearing out before the chain even starts to wear. i haven't ridden yet but will post back and let you all know if i could tell the difference from the added weight. i was running renthal sprockets before btw. i was going to try the renthal twin ring but then saw this baby for $30 and liked the price. oh and i run 14/49 with my eG yz295 kit. stock tranny.

District1-20111211-00108.jpg

I have a rental twin ring on my 265. Bottom line is I will not buy another, it has bured and worn fairly quickly. The super Sprocket tri metel is by far stronger and lasts 3 times as long as the renthal.

Just waiting on an Iron man to test them. Should be here for christmas.

I have a rental twin ring on my 265. Bottom line is I will not buy another, it has bured and worn fairly quickly. The super Sprocket tri metel is by far stronger and lasts 3 times as long as the renthal.

Just waiting on an Iron man to test them. Should be here for christmas.

Loving my Ironman. Pricey, but I'll stick to them from now on.

Loving my Ironman. Pricey, but I'll stick to them from now on.

Good to hear.:bonk:

This is EXACTLY what I wanted. I definitely wanted steel and not aluminum but I wanted my sprocket to be black. So, you're saying it definitely isn't aluminum so is it steel or in between? Just checking. Thanks for posting.

This is EXACTLY what I wanted. I definitely wanted steel and not aluminum but I wanted my sprocket to be black. So, you're saying it definitely isn't aluminum so is it steel or in between? Just checking. Thanks for posting.

it is hardended steel for sure. i'm not sure how they anodize them? the finish looks to be much more durable than aluminum anodized spockets.

it is hardended steel for sure. i'm not sure how they anodize them? the finish looks to be much more durable than aluminum anodized spockets.

It's not anodized. From SuperSproxUSA.com

The black surface finish is not just for looks. It is a super technical process that prevents corrosion on the teeth by forming a zinc carbonate barrier. After this first process, the sprocket is silver. Our competitors usually add paint to make their parts black, but that rubs off after a few miles and looks terrible. We make it black, by adding another technical layer called Trivalent Chromium and this micro thin layer bonds to the zinc base, giving more corrosion protection and looks much more technical than plain old paint.

About the black plating:

Hot-dip galvanizing is a form of galvanization. It is the process of coating iron, steel, or aluminum with a thin zinc layer, by passing the metal through a molten bath of zinc at a temperature of around 860 °F (460 °C). When exposed to the atmosphere, the pure zinc (Zn) reacts with oxygen (O2) to form zinc oxide (ZnO), which further reacts with carbon dioxide (CO2) to form zinc carbonate (ZnCO3), a usually dull grey, fairly strong material that stops further corrosion in many circumstances, protecting the steel below from the elements. Galvanized steel is widely used in applications where rust resistance is needed, and can be identified by the crystallization patterning on the surface (often called a "spangle").

Basically it's galvinized, then "chromed" (they can change the color).

Sweet!!! I am so getting one of these rear sprockets!

Also, here's a question while were on the subject...Gold chains? A waste? I've heard they lose the gold and turn into a "rust" chain after some miles and was wanting your personal opinions. I have heard good things about the D.I.D. gold chains though.

And one more, X-rain chain > O-ring chain by far correct? As far as durability and 0 maintenance right?

Gold chains will stay gold for as long as you clean them. Ive had mine for about 2 months now and still looks as good as the day I bought it. My last one I didnt get down there with the tooth brush after one ride and give it a quick clean and it rusted out immediately. It takes me about 2 mins holding the the toothbrush on the sprocket/chain and spinning the rear wheel. Clean with wd-40 then spray down with chain lube of choice.

Yeah of course! Just checking because I definitely don't want no freaking "rust chain" look but I'm really reallllly good about maintenance.

You'll be fine then. I think as long as you spray it with wd40 to water away or wipe it down with a towel after you wash your bike to get rid of the water your good to go.

Well I don't think it was literally rusting. What happens is the "gold" wears off and the finish then LOOKS like rust, but isn't. I'm sure it completely is involved with the brand of chain and most importantly, not keeping up with it.

Of course they do :bonk: BUT D.I.D. is great stuff!! My original o-ring chain from 4 years ago is still in o.k. shape but it's time. I will def be going with a D.I.D. x ring chain.

Guys you know what it is is these guys buy dirt bikes and don't take care of them, so all of the sudden standard O-ring chains aren't good enough because people don't clean/lube them and expect them to perform. Of course this is after decades on the same story. The Xring chain is definitely a good thing. No maintenance right? I've found as long as you take care of your O-ring chain, you won't have any problems of course maybe the rare lemon that breaks or some type of freak thing that's bound to happen sooner or later.

Clean your none o-x ring chains in gas every couple rides. It's crazy how much dirt and grit comes out, even after mass hot water preasure wash. Can also soak in some motor or what ever oil after. Also with my favorite chain DID ERT or any gold chain i like the Motul offroad chain lube, it's a yellow goldish color and enhances the gold look of the chain.