Sign in to follow this  

04 RMZ 250, as soon as it warms up antifreeze spills out overflow?

Anybody encounter this problem? While its warming up, haven't even rode it yet antifreeze starts dripping out the overflow tube. I do have the pro circut cover and have had this bike for 2 years, just recently started this. I pulled the radiators and hoses and thoroughly flushed all, including motor. Put new antifreeze in and still same result. Pulled water pump cover, impellers were in good shape and spun when i pushed kick stater. It didn't have any play seemed very solid. Any suggestions? Help is much appreciated:banghead:.

im not sure what the pro circuit cover is, but a failing radiator cap will do this. you can buy radiator caps with higher pressure resistance since the 04 rmz was sorta known for having an inadequate cooling system. also note that when you ride your moving air through the radiators forcing convection (cooling), when its standing this is not happening. dont let it sit for too long

Its normal for a bike to heat up and start pushing coolant.. ? sounds like he's just letting it overheat. Maybe a bad cap but still, if the bike sits running its going to start pushing coolant.

Does it ever stop??? and when you crank the bike, does it start as soon as it is crank or after it warms up. If it start leaking right off the start it would be the head gasket blow-by.

try inserting a in line coolant cooler it has fic on it to dissapate heat my buddy did this wit the same prob you can find them on motosport.com

do a conversion to 08 kawi rads. Find them on ebay pretty cheap. cut off and reweld the lower tabs and the plastic still fits up. greatest mod my rmz 270 (cylinder works kit) ever got. Sounds like to me its just overheating. the 1.6 rad cap helps, engine ice helps, aftermarket 04 rads help, 08 sized rads cure the problem totally!

If it's not the rad cap, it may be that the rad reservoir is filled too high. The coolant may need more room to expand as the engine is warming up.

Sorry bout the long delay. I tried the new cap same result. Finally got to replacing the head gasket and when I pulled the cams realized one of the buckets was cracked. So replaced the bucket and the head gaskets. Got her back together,4 kicks and she fired right up! Did a couple runs around the block and no problems! When i get a chance to get to the trails I'll update. I do need to dial in carb, I haven't been able to get the pilot air screw back to the sweet spot yet. Should know better by now to screw around with stuff without knowing what it is, oh well thats how ya learn right? Thanks for all the input fellas, much appreciated.