Sign in to follow this  

YZ125 Athena OEM head?

I have a 2000 YZ125. I just purchased it and found out it has an athena with stock displacement. They used the OEM head on this kit, but turn it around to have the water inlet come thru the front of the motor. The motor mount is not being used.

1, Can you use the stock head on this mod?

2. If so, can I just flip it around?

3. If I can't flip it around and I can use a stock head, could I use the head off of a 2001-04, where the mount and the water inlet are on opposite sides.

I bought an 04 which came with an athena standard bore kit on it. I got the bike for 800 because it had a blow head gasket. I got the new one on there but it blew again on the first ride. after a closer inspection, I found that the head was warped which was causing the the oring to fail. I had a buddy who had an oem head laying around so he gave it to me. the head will fit the athena cylinder jug just fine. Oem head gaskets (orings) will not fit the athena cylinder so you will need to order the athena gasket kit. the big bore and the standard kit are the same, with the same part number. I just put it in tonight and had no problems mounting up the brace that connects the fame to the head. hope this helps.

At one time Yamaha flipped the hose connection around I think... I don't think you could flip the head around because the alignment pins will not let you.