Sign in to follow this  

binding suspension

i just rebuile my entire suspesion. every thing appears to work fine off the bike but when i put the forks in they seem to be sticking. the do not compress easily and stick down quite a bit when released. its almost like something is bound up internaly. i just put all new bushings and seals in and when i take them out and compress them by hand individually they work fine. both compression stroke and rebound. this must mean that they are binding when in the bike. my question is what would make them do this and why? how do i fix it?

Your binding is probably due from incorrect installation of the front axle. Try the following tip:

(Taken from MB1)

Proper installation of your front forks

If your forks are feeling to harsh in the mid stroke after getting them back from having them worked on, you might have a problem with your pinch bolts being to tight or improper installation. Please read the steps below

1.) Put each fork into the triple clamp and measure from the top of the fork tube to the top of the upper triple clamp and make sure both forks are the same distance when installing.

2.) Torque the triple clamps bolts to the manufacturer spec. Typically 15-16ft/lbs. If you over tighten these bolts, it will cause the bushings to bind as the fork compresses.

3.) Install front tire amd axle bolt and torque to spec.

4.) Make sure the axle pinch bolts are loose. Take the bike off the stand and push on the bars a few times so the forks compress. Place the bike back onto the stand.

5.) Torque your fork pinch bolts to spec and you should be ready to race!

Your binding is probably due from incorrect installation of the front axle. Try the following tip:

(Taken from MB1)

Proper installation of your front forks

If your forks are feeling to harsh in the mid stroke after getting them back from having them worked on, you might have a problem with your pinch bolts being to tight or improper installation. Please read the steps below

1.) Put each fork into the triple clamp and measure from the top of the fork tube to the top of the upper triple clamp and make sure both forks are the same distance when installing.

2.) Torque the triple clamps bolts to the manufacturer spec. Typically 15-16ft/lbs. If you over tighten these bolts, it will cause the bushings to bind as the fork compresses.

3.) Install front tire amd axle bolt and torque to spec.

4.) Make sure the axle pinch bolts are loose. Take the bike off the stand and push on the bars a few times so the forks compress. Place the bike back onto the stand.

5.) Torque your fork pinch bolts to spec and you should be ready to race!

thanks ill give it a shot.

A lot of people say to check fork bind that way and most times it may work right but the way I do it lets you actually SEE that its right.

Try like this......

(1) Install both forks and set fork height using calipers or a ruler. It is important that fork height be exactly the same for both sides. Tighten pinch bolts to the proper specs (Top: 18 Ft-Lbs | Lower: 15 Ft-Lbs).

(2)Before installing axle make sure the end of it (and the edge of axle hole) has not been "mushroomed" from hitting it with a metal hammer. If theres any lip on the axle it must be ground off or fork will bind. Also if need a round file will fix up the axle hole.

(3)Install the axle (use rubber or plastic hammer only) and tighten the axle nut to proper spec. If the axle turns while tightening the nut, tighten one right side axle pinch bolt to hold axle in place.

(4)Tighten both left side axle pinch bolts to spec (17 Ft-Lbs).

(5)With the left side axle pinch bolts and axle nut tightened, loosen the right side axle pinch bolts. Take a small flat head screwdriver and carefully tap it into the slot between the two right side axle pinch bolts. This will enlarge the axle hole. You will then be able to grab the bottom of the right side fork tube and push it in and pull it out freely. You will be able to SEE the fork settle naturally into position on the axle without binding.

(6) Remove the screwdriver and tighten the right side axle pinch bolts to spec (17 Ft-Lbs).

If you're wondering if your forks are currently bound up, put your bike on a stand and start this procedure at Step 5.

One other thing, did you use OEM seals & bushings? If not then that could also be part of your problem as many of the aftermarket seals & bushings are not made to exact OEM specs & will cause stiction.....

doc

One other thing, did you use OEM seals & bushings? If not then that could also be part of your problem as many of the aftermarket seals & bushings are not made to exact OEM specs & will cause stiction.....

doc

i agree...more time that s the problem

stock seals after market bushings..all balls bushing..I thought they reduced stiction vs OEM..and I did the filing trick b4 I read this..it was def binding but still more stiction than I think there should be..if it is the bushings will they wear in?