Sign in to follow this  

Newbie needs help =/

Just bought my first dirtbike its a 2006 crf250r and when I got it the chain was looser than it shouldve been so I went ahead and tightened it, but I went too tight. Rode it around a little just cruising around maybe 10-15min got back and noticed the chain had like no slack in it after it had warmed up. Rookie mistake but now I have it set correctly but I think I messed something up in the process. When I ride it now it just wants to rev in every gear, it will go and it still has lots of torque but it doesnt accelerate like it should, I cant even get my front tire to lift in first? I was just hoping someone here could help me figure out what I messed up? I had a friend tell me it could be the wheel bearing? I just hope its something small and not the transmission acting up. I have no idea whats wrong this is my first bike and I dont know much about them so help me out please. It has fresh oil and everything was fine before I messed with my chain.

Well what more do you need to know? Like I said im new to this and its hard for me to elimate anything because I have no idea... It has the power it just isnt accelerating like it should I mean I should be able to get my front wheel up in 1st right just from pinning it right? Its just really hard to explain it wants to rev out when I get on the gas I could be in 3rd or 4th and hammer on the throttle and it will hit the rev limiter instead of taking off and actually haulin the mail...Your right it could be anything I just need ideas of things I could check maybe its my throttle cable maybe its fuel delivery maybe its the tranny. I dont really wanna rip it apart to find out its just my sprocket or something little..

It sounds like either your rear wheel gets no traction and slips or more likely you've got a slipping clutch.

It sounds like either your rear wheel gets no traction and slips or more likely you've got a slipping clutch.

If it was my rear wheel slipping what would cause that? because that sounds alot like whats going on, clutch could be a good possibility too, but I would like to check the easy stuff before I start replacing clutch plates.

If it was my rear wheel slipping what would cause that? because that sounds alot like whats going on, clutch could be a good possibility too, but I would like to check the easy stuff before I start replacing clutch plates.

A slipping rear wheel comes from poor traction with the surface i.e. hard accel on gravel or loose dirt will normally just break loose the rear wheel (depending on body position) instead of sending the front wheel up. Easy to have a friend check for you...

If you open the throttle and the engine revs up but the bike doesn't accel like it use to or shots away roost then you most likely have a slipping clutch.

A slipping rear wheel comes from poor traction with the surface i.e. hard accel on gravel or loose dirt will normally just break loose the rear wheel (depending on body position) instead of sending the front wheel up. Easy to have a friend check for you...

If you open the throttle and the engine revs up but the bike doesn't accel like it use to or shots away roost then you most likely have a slipping clutch.

Well its doing it on all surfaces including the pavement. Also how would my friend check for me? My clutch lever is pretty stiff Ive tried adjusting the nut in and out and it doesnt seem to loosen it up either way. I have to let the clutch out all the way before it will engage. Starting to sound like its my clutch out of adjustment or my plates sticking together? Thanks for all the feedback greatly appreciated. I bought a service manual and its helping me learn just going to take some time.

When you open the throttle, the bike revs but you don't get any forward drive? If so the clutch is roast

When you open the throttle, the bike revs but you don't get any forward drive? If so the clutch is roast

Ok thanks thats what I was thinking all along. When im parked in nuetral and shift it into 1st you can really hear it clunk into gear. I'll go ahead and drain my oil and check out my plates and basket wheen I get a chance. What clutch kit should I get if thats my problem?

Stick with stock Honda clutch parts. The Barnett components don't work as well as the Honda clutch. The stock clutch works well when not abused or neglected. Nothing will last when not maintained properly.

Is the front sprocket slipping on the countershaft. You could do a little test. Put the back and front break on tight, let out clutch slowly and see if the bike stalls or revs.