Sign in to follow this  

Now I remember why I hate 4-strokes!!!

Well I don't really hate 4-strokes, just hate a few things about them. I just traded my 2005 RM250 for a 2007 crf250r and I took back in the woods behind my house to go get my trail cams and in that time I stalled 3 times and one time resulted in my falling off the bike on a slight hill and then was kicking the bike for 5 minutes because it fell on its side.

I actually really like the bike, plenty of power, turns GREAT, super comfortable and runs awesome. BUT I always forget how easy these things are to stall!!!! :lol:

my RM250 and my ktm 300XC almost never stalled unless you really screwed up. Really like the honda, may just end up being my practice MX bike, but gonna take a little time to get used to how easy it is to stall at low rpms. lol

Just figured I would share, i was laughing at myself when i kept stalling and then when I dumped the bike lol. I raced an entire season and probably only stalled my bike a handful of times and I go to putt in the back woods to grab some cameras and I feel like a newb again haha:bonk:

BUT I always forget how easy these things are to stall!!!! :lol:

i think that depends on the particular bike.

you have to really work at stalling my DRZ with 14/47 gearing.

flywheel weight is probably going to have more to do with how easily a bike stalls than 2 vs. 4 stroke.

I can't remember the last time i stalled my 450. Could be the gearing you are running or maybe some carb issues.

I understand that there are a lot of factors, but 4 strokes do tend to flame out MUCH easier than 2 strokes. Right?

I just traded my 2005 RM250 for a 2007 crf250r and I took back in the woods behind my house to go get my trail cams and in that time I stalled 3 times and one time resulted in my falling off the bike on a slight hill and then was kicking the bike for 5 minutes because it fell on its side.

Sounds like the problem is that you're coming off a 250 stinkwheels, going to a 125-class bike, not going to a 4-s. then don't think I ever stalled my 250X, but I did spend a fair amount of time flogging a 125 before I got it. They are MUCH more like 125s then 250s, thats for sure.

JayC

almost all modern 4strokes stall easier than than the old school 4strokes, for three basic reasons 1 shorter strokes, 2 higher 1st gear 3 overcarbed of course they are way faster, its been interesting watching 4strokes evolve into mostly motocross bikes as the former moto 2strokes become the ultimate trail machines

almost all modern 4strokes stall easier than than the old school 4strokes, for three basic reasons 1 shorter strokes, 2 higher 1st gear 3 overcarbed of course they are way faster, its been interesting watching 4strokes evolve into mostly motocross bikes as the former moto 2strokes become the ultimate trail machines

This... I ride a 09 RM-z (fuel injected) and shes AWSOME on the trails. The new injected bikes you really dont have to break your leg trying to kick over. I kick mine 2-3 times (on a bad day) and im off!

what year is your honda? are the valves and piston worn. some the older honda's where hard to start cos of bad valves

A bad crafstman blames his tools!

What happened to you is not the bike fault, nor does it have anything to do with being a 4 stroke, you have just bought a 4 year old, high performance race machine which I can almost guarantee was not maintained like it should have been

Also if not set up for woods will not be good for the application, this includes jetting!

Where is your idling set at ? How is your clutch adjusted?

Was this your first ride ? you dont think you might just need some more time on the bike to learn its characteristics ?

Or check everything is set right and clean ?

A little premature to blame what happend on 2 additional strokes of the engine dont you think ?

Are you the guy who was talking about trading his woods prepped rm250 for a crf250r? Well glad it runs well anyhow.

Huh. I had to jump off mine when I couldn't get up a hill, and it kept running. After picking it up and trying to get going again, I ended up just killing it when I realized I wasn't going anywhere.

Just yesterday, I stopped to help my daughter and it fell off the stand (facing downhill, I know) - again, kept on running until I picked it up.

So not sure what is going on but 4T's don't 'stall' any more than 2T..

Huh. I had to jump off mine when I couldn't get up a hill, and it kept running. After picking it up and trying to get going again, I ended up just killing it when I realized I wasn't going anywhere.

Just yesterday, I stopped to help my daughter and it fell off the stand (facing downhill, I know) - again, kept on running until I picked it up.

So not sure what is going on but 4T's don't 'stall' any more than 2T..

I disagree, the first time I traded a guy my CR250R for his KX250F on a ride and proceeded to ride it like I ride my CR. I stalled twice exiting corners at the same speed/gear that my CR pulls away cleanly. The 250F's require quite a bit more rpm (a gear lower) at the same speed because they don't have as much torque at lower rpm's as a 250 2t does. Once I kept the rpm's up I was running just as fast as I did on my CR and found the 250F really easy to ride. The 450 would obviously have more torque at the same rpm as my CR, so that's a non issue.

Compare a torque chart on a 250 2t vs 4t if you don't believe me

I had a WR250F, and that thing would stall in a heartbeat, then was a nightmare to get started again. This was a trail bike that was supposed to have good bottom end, nada.

Had a YZ250 after the WR that had way more bottom end grunt, and was harder by far to stall. And if I did kill it, 1 or 2 kicks and it was running.

Then there's the KDX. About the only way to stall it is to be completely stopped and dump the clutch out with the throttle closed.

Its not the bike or the stroke!! Its the rider. Plus a properly set up 4stroke will start just as easily after a fall over as a 2st. 2-3kics cause the carb is flooded not cause its a 4st!!

There just different thats all.

I never said it was hard to start....only hard to start once its been laying on its side. The bike literally starts first kick EVERY time ice cold. The bike runs great and is a very very low hour bike. I am sure a little jetting work will make it more resistant to stalling but what I do know is that every 4 -stroke 250 cc carbed MX race bike I have ridden is very prone to stalling very abruptly when rpms are very low, like starting off. Of course if you get used to it and don,t let any load get on the bike at idle speed or slightly above everything is fine.

I am a 2-stroke guys at heart, but i think 4-strokes are wonderful bikes. The four strokes have tons of trackable power and are easy to ride. Each bike has it's advantages and disadvantages....just pointing out one IMHO.

everyone gets so upset when you mention anything negative about a 4 stroke in comparison to 2 stoke or the opposite lol

I never said it was hard to start....only hard to start once its been laying on its side. The bike literally starts first kick EVERY time ice cold. The bike runs great and is a very very low hour bike. I am sure a little jetting work will make it more resistant to stalling but what I do know is that every 4 -stroke 250 cc carbed MX race bike I have ridden is very prone to stalling very abruptly when rpms are very low, like starting off. Of course if you get used to it and don,t let any load get on the bike at idle speed or slightly above everything is fine.

I am a 2-stroke guys at heart, but i think 4-strokes are wonderful bikes. The four strokes have tons of trackable power and are easy to ride. Each bike has it's advantages and disadvantages....just pointing out one IMHO.

everyone gets so upset when you mention anything negative about a 4 stroke in comparison to 2 stoke or the opposite lol

When you chop the throttle grab a handful of clutch. FWW also helps greatly.

scorpa puts a smaller carb on the wr250 yamaha and pretty much makes it stall proof the power now and other carb wings do almost the same thing, you can make a modern 4st run better down low but you will almost always sacrifice top end, imho most modern 4st are way over carbed. We used to run 38mm and 37mm on built 500cc bikes and they had way more power than most could use. now that is a small carb for a 250

I have a theory that most modern 4st are built so light that they really could not hold up with a smaller carb the torque off the bottom would blow the rods right though the cases

different strokes :) for different folks.

Don't see many 2-stroke dualsports.

Ahh you always get a guy like you in any thread. Just had to throw that in there for attention. Well here is your attention. :lol:

cant remember the last time I stalled my KX250F........you cannot start a 4 stroke like a 2 stroke either, they like smooth, full kicks