Sign in to follow this  

SX suspension on XC-W?

I have a semi-technical question but I think it is simple.

Here is the situation: I like riding motocross, and I like riding trails as well. I have a 2007 200XC-W which is awesome on the trails. I like the motor on the motocross track, but the suspension is too soft.

I really only have the budget for one bike.

Will the SX suspension (forks and shock) fit my bike with the W triple clamps and swingarm? I have a feeling this will fix the suspension issue, at the fraction of the cost of buying another bike (which is obviously preferable).

48mm forks will fit. The sx are closed cartridge but why don't you just have the open cartridge forks revalved to suit your riding and ability. You should be able to find a compromise for both. As for the shock, I believe the 06 and 07 were the same lengh so they may cross over, but in 08 they changed the frame so the shock changed.

I also like, and race both. I had my suspension set up for me and was by far the best money I have ever spent. Just tell them you want to set it up to ride both. Motocross / harescramble will be similar to GNCC type. They told me they could do that but motocross to enduro suspension would be alot tougher due to them acting so differently. Mine can be a little harsh in extreme tight stuff but its all worth it when you hit a jump and it doesn't bottom.

You can get by with just the forks and a revalve on your shock. Your stock forks can be made to work, but the TC forks are more versatile. IMHO, the TC forks are worth the investment for what you are doing. The only thing you will be missing with the shock is the high speed adjustment.

The tc forks are just more supportive and you don't get the cavitation you do with the open bath system.

I have the stock suspension sprung for my weight, but the valving is too soft. I am a slow motocross rider, but the smallest hits make the forks bottom out. It's great in the trails though.

If the CC forks will fit I will try a set of those. The shock is fine; the forks are the major issue right now and I suspect that valving is the issue. I rode my bike back to back with a buddy's YZ250F with stock springs and the front end on that felt way better on the track than mine did (and I'm 235 lbs, stock springs on that bike are for 175).