Sign in to follow this  

Fixing to ride my first YZ 300!

Just had brag a little bit and tell everyone I am going to ride my YZ 300 for the first time in about a hour. Got it put back together last night cranked it and let it idle for a bit, now I'm going to break it in after work!:lol: I'm racing it tomorrow, so I'll try to give a good synopsis after the weekend.

Well guys there is good news and bad news. The good news first.

The Eric Gore YZ 300 is by far the funnest bike I have ever ridden. It has enough grunt to get down and lug similiar to a xcw, but has the same exciting snap of a yz 250 except for that little bit more.

The race was a motoscramble type race. We rode 3/4 of a motocross track and had about 5 miles of woods. 2 moto format.

There is no waiting for the power to come on any more, the bike will launch out of a corner unlike any bike I have rode before. The power curve is suprisingly smooth all the way through, if you want to feel a hit just twist the throtte a little quicker, there is next to "NO" hesatition. It very predictable while riding. In extreme tight woods (think national enduro section) it could be a little uncontrolable as to be expected. You point the way it goes. The bike on the track was exceptional, by the sound it does not wind as high as it used too, but by the way it pulled it did not need too.

:lol:

Now on to the bad news. The entire first moto was ran on a flat rear tire, not that bad you say, the second moto on the 3rd lap a went to hot into a down hill corner lost the front end and as the bike fell to the right. My pants leg pulled out the kick start and it hit the ground and broke the kickshaft and busted the inner clutch cover. Yes thats right by falling on it not by kicking, only my luck. Needless to say my 300 finished the day strong with a ride back to the truck on a trailer...:)

I now

Wow. Thanks for the ride report.

Sucks that after getting your mod done, now you are down again for repairs.

when you say it dosen't wind as high you mean rpm wise?If so its safe to say with the same gear ratio the bike is slower with the 300 kit?I imagine it could run a higher gear ratio no problem but once 1st gets so high its hard to use in tight stuff.Would you say this could be a problem or is it small enough difference to not worry about?

The Eric Gore YZ 300 is by far the funnest bike I have ever ridden. It has enough grunt to get down and lug similiar to a xcw, but has the same exciting snap of a yz 250 except for that little bit more.

The race was a motoscramble type race. We rode 3/4 of a motocross track and had about 5 miles of woods. 2 moto format.

There is no waiting for the power to come on any more, the bike will launch out of a corner unlike any bike I have rode before. The power curve is suprisingly smooth all the way through, if you want to feel a hit just twist the throtte a little quicker, there is next to "NO" hesatition. It very predictable while riding. In extreme tight woods (think national enduro section) it could be a little uncontrolable as to be expected. You point the way it goes. The bike on the track was exceptional, by the sound it does not wind as high as it used too, but by the way it pulled it did not need too.

:lol:

Now on to the bad news. The entire first moto was ran on a flat rear tire, not that bad you say, the second moto on the 3rd lap a went to hot into a down hill corner lost the front end and as the bike fell to the right. My pants leg pulled out the kick start and it hit the ground and broke the kickshaft and busted the inner clutch cover. Yes thats right by falling on it not by kicking, only my luck. Needless to say my 300 finished the day strong with a ride back to the truck on a trailer...:)

I now

Hey! Cool! Loan be that bad cylinder while you're broke down there Homeslice!

Just kiddin' man.

That's a turbo drag. You got luck like Michelle Bachman got history books.

Which porting do you have?

Low, mo-better or the mid-top?

Now on to the bad news. The entire first moto was ran on a flat rear tire, not that bad you say, the second moto on the 3rd lap a went to hot into a down hill corner lost the front end and as the bike fell to the right. My pants leg pulled out the kick start and it hit the ground and broke the kickshaft and busted the inner clutch cover. Yes thats right by falling on it not by kicking, only my luck. Needless to say my 300 finished the day strong with a ride back to the truck on a trailer...

I now

when you say it dosen't wind as high you mean rpm wise?If so its safe to say with the same gear ratio the bike is slower with the 300 kit?I imagine it could run a higher gear ratio no problem but once 1st gets so high its hard to use in tight stuff.Would you say this could be a problem or is it small enough difference to not worry about?

Yes it doesn't feel like it will hit as high of RPM's. I don't wont to say that it is slower with the same ratio 13/48 until I ride it a little more. I think I may have been sort of short shifting before it wound out. Right now I would say it is close to the same top end if not a little faster, it feels like it takes less RPM's to produce the same power it used too, and where it used to sign off pulling and just rev it now keeps pulling. Sorry if thats a little confusing, I may not have worded it right. As for the second part, it feel like it will pull a gear or two high, similiar to a XCW but still has the explosive feel as apposed to the XCW lug where it feels like it needs to be cleaned out. Does that make sense?

Which porting do you have?

Low, mo-better or the mid-top?

Mine is mid to top, with 93 gas, can't afford the good stuff all the time yet.:lol:

Hey! Cool! Loan be that bad cylinder while you're broke down there Homeslice!

Just kiddin' man.

That's a turbo drag. You got luck like Michelle Bachman got history books.

Yeah man I can fit it in one of those flat rate box, but theres a pretty steep rental fee:

1 day cylinder rent= your kickstart and cover must be returned:busted:

I've alread ordered a '01 shaft assembly and cover so hopefully it will come in soon and I can get more in depth on how it runs. Who's know maybe even a video of my slow riding.:lol:

As long as you're buying everything new, do the upgrade to the earlier shaft and side cover, and prove out the YZ450F kicker if you can. Check the summary thread for details.