Sign in to follow this  

changing my clutch crf450

Is it easy as it seems to change my clutch plates in my bike?. The bike is in gear clutch is fully in and it still wants to creap forward. So i think its time to replace. I can do basic maintance on my bike.

sounds like your clutch is out of adjustment. check that before spending the cash on new clutch plates. just replaced mine on a 08, original clutch made it 230 hrs.

what he said.. check, then order if needed. The minimum thickness on the fibers is 2.85mm. If it is thicker than that they are ok. 2.9mm or more they are like new. Be careful when pulling the pressure plate that you don't loose the washer that rides on the throwoutbearing. It will STICK to the pressure plate and you won't know it was supposed to be there.

how much FREE PLAY do you have? if more than 1/8" or so, it could be part of your "creeping" issue. WHat oil do you use?

philmansell,

The drive plates are steel and, as long as they are not warped, are typically reusable with new fiber plates. I don't think I've seen aluminum drive plates used since my 250 two-stroke days back in 2000....................

I after you have checked for free play at the lever (about 1/4 inch) your clutch still will not fully disengage you might have a grooved clutch basket. Not hard to replace but more involved than just replacing the plates.

Take the clutch cover off and look for grooves in the basket "fingers". If there are grooves then that is likely your problem. You will need a new basket to fix the problem.

The best solution is to buy a steel basket, which will last "forever" and never groove like the stock aluminum unit. However it will require you to be able to drill/grind off the old ring gear (attached to the back of the clutch basket) and then attach the ring gear to the new basket. Its not complicated or tough if you are mechanically inclined and have the right tools.

The easiest way to replace it is to buy a new OEM one as I believe it comes with a new ring gear attached. This is kind of the easy way out tho and I would go with a steel basket if I were you.

There is a post in the "How To" section, has good pic of a grooved basket and a temp fix that will get you by till you can get a new one