Sign in to follow this  

Need Help! CRF 150F Or RM 125

Hey Guys I am brand new to this forum and this is my first post.

I recently started dirt biking this summer and got my self a yamaha TTR 125L

I am 5'6 and 130 pounds so the bike was a great size for me. That was my first bike and I was really starting to get comfortable in my skills with it when I sold it. I sold it though because it needed to much work and the frame was cracked from the guy before as I think he jumped it a lot.

My question I need help with is.... I want to get a new bike now and want something a tad more power and stronger then a yamaha ttr 125. I don't jump big but still the ttr don't seem like it should be jumped much even if only small.

The 2 bikes I am looking at ( And I want to get one of these 2 for sure) are a new honda crf 150f which yes its a little heavier then a ttr but it's suppose to be stronger and have better and more suspension travel. 2nd a suzuki RM 125 around the 2000-2001 year range as that's also in my price range....I know I can ride the 150 no problem but the only thing is I have never ridin a 2 stroke before.....I don't want to buy a RM 125 to find out its too much bike for me at this stage as I am still not super experienced and only been riding for a few months...The bikes would be used mainly for trails and a few small jumps. What are the pros and cons? What bike would be the better choice? Would I get tired of the 150 to fast as I know a RM 125 you would not.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Why not an older Honda xr200. More power then the crf150f, similar size, cheap. If you want to stick to those to bikes I would say the crf150f.

the ttr125 and crf150f are in the same bike class. If you're looking for something bigger in physical size with more power look at a crf230,ttr230,xr200. If you are looking for something with a drastic power difference look for any 125 2 stroke in your price range they are all good. I suggest the 125 2 stroke, if you buy another trail bike you will eventually out grow it and want a faster bike.

rm 125 no doubt, dont listen to the begginer stuff, my friend...never riden a dirtbike before, bought a yz125 as his first bike and learned on it perfectly fine

Between the CRF 150f and the RM 125 and with the goals you provided: "want a tad more power and stronger than my TTR" and good for "mainly trails and a few small jumps", the choice seems obvious...the Crf 150f. The YZ 125 will have loads more power, much taller seat height, and require more riding skill and attention (and won't be as reliable). It's a full on race bike. At 130 lbs I'd think it would likely be too much bike in size and power. The 150 would fit you fine and would definitely be somewhat bigger, much stronger, more powerful, and handle jumps better than your old TTR. You might still out grow it of course, in time.

You could also consider the CRF 230/TTR 230, or an older XR 200, as recommended. You wouldn't outgrow these any time soon but they'd be a bigger step up from the TTR and might be big for a year or two.

You're kind of stuck between getting one step up in size (CRF 150f) and 2 steps up in size (the other, bigger 4 strokes, mentioned).

I'm an adult, 5' 8", 160 and have had the TTR 125, the XR 200, and now have the CRF 150. All are really fun small to mid-sized bikes for trail riding. Good luck!