Sign in to follow this  

Sherco suspension?

I'm used to a mx bike. How or do you, adjust the suspension on a trials bike?

I looked but don't see any comp or rebound knobs.

I tried down loading a manual from sherco, but all I got was a single page in a foreign language.

Does anyone have a pdf file they could send?

This is the biggest question from new riders. It's nothing like MX bikes. I'm sure it feels way soft to you. On the 03 Sherco the only adjustment you have is the rear shock pre load.

This is the biggest question from new riders. It's nothing like MX bikes. I'm sure it feels way soft to you. On the 03 Sherco the only adjustment you have is the rear shock pre load.
I agree w CC...

My question is why do you think it needs adjustment ? It is set at the factory to where its pretty near perfect for most of us, minus the pro's... just curious to what you're thinking that is should be ? Chad

My answer is, I normally set the sag on a new bike. On a mx bike it greatly effects turning, handling, and control. Rider weight varies and changes sag. The same goes for setting compression and rebound, especially on a used bike, like mine. I asked in the original post, how or do you adjust it? Roll Tide......

Thanks for your answer Chris. I sent a pm regarding the fenders...

Fair enough dirt addict... I hope I didnt offend, that was not my intention.. welcome to the bizarro world of trials, where everything you know about bikes and riding has suddenly changed....:lol: Chad

You want the suspension to settle about 33% of its total travel when you stand on the bike. Six inches of travel would equal two inches of ride sag. Im not familiar with the older shercos, but most new bikes have an adjuster for spring preload front and rear. If your bike dosent have a fork spring preload adjuster you may have to make spacers out of PVC pipe to make adjustments. As for compression and rebound adjustments. If you cant find adjusters you will have to play with oil viscositys to get the suspension control you want.

I was doing some reading earlier and it sounded like the race sag for trials bikes should be closer to just under 50%. And that you should be able to softly bottom out the suspension by jumping hard on the pegs on flat ground.

I'll need to check this on my bike, too. I have a feeling it's off because I know the front is low on oil due to a leaking seal. I just noticed today that the rear shock has been leaking oil, too It's probably low on air as well. Hopefully that's the reason I'm having so much trouble hopping the rear tire, otherwise it's a defective peg to bar spacer and we all know how hard it can be to get those fixed!

I think with trials suspension setups your going to find that they vary from rider to rider. Because my ride weight is way outside the weight range the bike was designed for i had to ask alot of questions to get my bike to work right so i could begin to learn basic technique. What i found was that many trials riders dont concern themselves much with suspension setup. I'm not sure why that is because i have found that carefully tuning my trials bike suspension has made a huge difference in the way my bike handles. Turning can be greatly affected by ride height settings. Stability and tire grip can be affected by compression and rebound speed settings. I personaly would have a difficult time riding a bike that settled halfway into its stroke with me onboard, but another rider might think it feels great. All you can do is try different settings and see how they feel when riding them to decide how you like the bike to feel. I personaly run a little less sag than 33%. I prefere the extra ground clearence and i like a firmer feeling suspension to help control my 255lbs. ride weight. Just for reference i can bottom my suspension while jumping up and down on the bike.

Edited by liviob
spelling

Just a beginning Trials rider but IMO a good starting place for sag is use the same percentage of suspension travel as a MX bike. I adjust bottoming resistance in the forks via oil level. I also run minimum setting on the clickers except for trail riding where I want more control of chassis motions because of the higher speeds.