Sign in to follow this  

yz250 carb bolt stipped

took the carburetor off of my yz250 and went to take the bowl off, but I just ended up completely stripping two of the screws, I tried cutting the head off of one but that just made it worse, anyone help me figure this one out?

Edited by chkmates12

what did you change while you were in there

'stripped it down and took off the clutch cover' I assume you did more than just take off the clutch cover, or do you mean the clutch side crankcase?

I've used needle-nose Vise-grips before. But if you've already cut the head off the screw, I doubt that the Vise-grips will work. You'll probably have to use an Eazy Out.

A small sharp chisel,keep tapping it(light hammer) to make a slot then use a flatblade to unscew it. Most likley during the process of tapping it will start to spin loose.

Works everytime for me.

I exchanged the phillips heads with allen to avoid problems. Once those OEM screws refuse to get loose I use some liquid wrench and vise grip pliers. Exchange them with allen and you have less problems. Don't over tight them as they are 4mm screws anyway.

I'll echo what has already been said. Vise grips, real tight, in conjunction with the screwdriver to get it off. Replace them with allen head bolts.

I have had some of them come off clean and easy, but more often than not, I ended up stripping the heads. I bought a bag of 100 allen head bolts for like $4 and I replace them all.

I just rounded out the the slot on one of them and pounded a torch bit into it, came out easy, then just shaved down the other one and it came out easily, not just waiting for my gasket kit to come in so I can put this baby back together, and hopefully she'll run no problem now