Sign in to follow this  

Washington trash on trails

Rode Tahuya today. I rode many a mile through single & double tracks. My pack gained some weight throughout the day. PEOPLE! Smash your beer cans

and haul them out. Let me be clear. I picked up the crap I found as I stopped

periodically for various reasons. A beer can here, candy wrapper there, etc.

These are the very reasons more & more ORV areas are getting shut down.

Tahuya in general, seems to be cleaner than some ORV areas I've frequented.

Kudos to those who pack out their trash. I don't know if the DNR is on the

ball or if volunteers cleaned up the downed timber, blocking trails...Thank you.

However, it gets done. I'm glad the majority police themselves(no pun intended). I've been on cleanup crews at Elbe Hills ORV. Unbelieveable amounts trash hauled out.

Unfortunately,it's not just trails,but anywhere off of the main drag. I grew up and still live in the hills of east Lewis county. When I was very young,it seemed like there wasn't a logging road that had a gate on it. Maybe Murry land,but a that was the exception,not the rule. When I was a teen,I really started to notice just how much shit people had started dumping in the woods. TV's and old appliances where about the most common items,as well as general household trash. Next thing you know gates started appearing on alot of the spur roads off the main lines. Now that I'm in my 30s most of the logging road systems that I grew up on are gated at the highway. I'm sure people dumping had a lot to do with it. I guess as dump fees rose,the amount of trash in the woods did too. It's not like it's any easier to dump your crap in the woods,only cheaper. It really bums me out as somebody who has spent literally years of his life running around in the hills.

It seems to be a problem pretty much everywhere. I will say again...Tahuya is one of the cleanest ORV areas I've seen, lately. Elbe Hills has vastly improved thanks to the efforts of many volunteers. I've put a lot of ride time in at Tahuya in the last 60 days. I'm still surprised at how little trash I see.

All the areas seem better today than they did in the 80's...to be honest, I don't understand why everyone is up in arms about it. Seems to me a small bunch of volunteers take it upon themselves to do a lot of it. Periodic work parties get the rest. Seems sustainable to me. :lol:

Reiter was clean...when they closed it.

Never been to Reiter. I've wheeled Elbe Hills on and off for 16 years. Over that time, It seems to have transformed from a wooded trash pit. Now I see very little trash, and there's more than just the Busywild trail to challenge ones offroad driving ability.

Never been to Reiter. I've wheeled Elbe Hills on and off for 16 years. Over that time, It seems to have transformed from a wooded trash pit. Now I see very little trash, and there's more than just the Busywild trail to challenge ones offroad driving ability.

Can you ride bikes out there? I live17 miles away and have never been there.

Can you ride bikes out there? I live17 miles away and have never been there.

OMG, where have you been :lol: ONE word search on here "reiter" will bring up millions of hits on discussions about reiter that have raged for 2 years.

Joe

if you're doing a quick test & tune, great. stay on the road. you'll spend a lot of time picking up your bike, trying to ride most of the trails. I won't take bike there.

OMG, where have you been :lol: ONE word search on here "reiter" will bring up millions of hits on discussions about reiter that have raged for 2 years.

Joe

Haha I was talking Elbe. I've read some about reiter though.

if you're doing a quick test & tune, great. stay on the road. you'll spend a lot of time picking up your bike, trying to ride most of the trails. I won't take bike there.

Thanks for the info.

Lol! I've wheeled my toys from western Washington all the way across to central Montana. I have never played north of I-90 in western Wa.

hey Bow, going to tahuya tomorrow if your interested in a ride. I'll check this forum in the AM and send you details if your interested.

The gun owners in the Yacolt burn really out did themselves this year, thier main shooting pit looks like crap. I will get a pic next week.

Where is this pit?

Where is this pit?

Just east of four corners, take the gravel about 3/4 of a mile going uphill

or google maps this -------> 45.718390, -122.317228

Edited by rolliew

If I ran tubliss and the Dunlop trials tire would I need to be prepared to put a tube in on the trail? I ask because I think I heard that it will not hold a plug. I assume the tire is not junk, it would just need a tubeless car tire patch on the inside?

A knobbie sounds more bullit proof I am just not sure how much I would have to gain. I get away with 8psi with a tube and never flat so I am guessing I would just be able to go a couple lower.

Oils changed, air filter is clean. Bike "once overed" READY TO GO! I might be bringing a buddy from work. He's a little green, so I'll have to be nice(I actually want him to have a good time). I'll punish him a tad, but only 'cause I've known him for so many years.

Plan A: Ready to ride from Sand Hill Pit 9am.

Plan B: Ready to ride from Sand Hill Pit a little after 9am