Sign in to follow this  

Help with 12"s for an 85

I want to take an 85cc (does it matter: H, Y, K, S) and put 12" road tires in place of the 17" 14" F/R dirt setup.

Here is a place that is out, but should be able to order them.

http://tboltusa.com/store/12-super-wheel-set-p-929.html

The factory YZ wants a 70/100-17 tire with 17 X 1.40" rim/wheel Front

90/100-14 tire with 17 X 1.6" spoke wheel

The above kit, which specifies for 50cc machines has 12 X 2.5" wheels on 90/90-12 spoke wheels. It also has a rotors from 190mm to 220mm. So this is another dimension I need. Are the 4 Japanese 85s going to accept (fork/swingarm). The rotor size is important because it locates the pads and they are not adjustable. How do you measure this?

They say they take 15mm axles. Is 15mm YZ/CR 85 spec axles?

The easiest way to do it would be to just lace 12" rims to your stock hubs. That way you won't have to deal with making axle spacers and the brake rotor fitment, etc.

www.radmfg.com should have the rims and spokes you need in stock. You want 12x2.15 and 12x2.5 rims. Dunlop TT92 and Bridgestone BT601SS are the tires of choice. The B'stones are better but the Dunlops are less money and easier to find.

Man o man I wish I would have taken your advice. I think I'm going after the expensive impossible. I ordered aluminum 12"s and now realize I should have researched a little better, but hopefully it will work in the end.

I got these and the guy was helpful but I guess noone has ever put these on an 85.

http://www.adrenalinepowersportsllc.com/Pit-Bike-Parts.html

SKU 1315 on the far right, first row.

NOW, I realize the rotor probably wont be the right size nor in the exact location, same deal with the sprocket. Then the axles are going to be the wrong size. Hopefully these things are doable and there are no more curve balls.

I was thinking all Japanese bikes should be somewhat universal, then I read these wheels are for Chinese bikes.

"So Kahn, are you Chinese or Japanese" "I'm Laotian"

Any words of encouragement or should I try to unload them now before I invest loads of time and money THEN try to unload them.

Count the number of spokes on both wheels if they match your wheels, unlace (don't cut the spokes!) and relace the rim to your hub. You may get lucky and find that the spokes from the "new" wheel will work with your hub.

If the spokes don't work, custom spokes. You can usually sell spoke sets on eBay fairly easily and make about 1/2 your money back from the custom spoke cost.

If the spoke count doesn't match, unload them.

BTW, if they're 32 spoke or 28 spoke wheels and don't match, PM me details I may have a home for at least one of them.

Jeff at Adrenaline is being very helpful. He waited before putting in the order so he could chat with the wheel guy. We are running measurements right now and it doesnt look like they'll fit, so I wont be out any dough except for the little bit I spent at Tbolt for the reducers.

So, I can look on ebay and find hubs for any CR85 (expert or regular) and then order some spokes from Buchanon and outer rims from RAD. If the hubs I order already have the wheel bearings and rotors and sprocket mounted then ALL I will need to do is lace them up and mount them and ride? Is this all there is to it, or are there additional parts and fabrication/altercations to be made?????

Trying to finalize this deal and get on the track

Thanks for the helpful advice.

Thank you guys. I did contact Cam and was ready to purchase wheels, when a local bike shop showed me some mini road bikes.

Hopefully this weekend I will trade my dirtbike for a road racer with 12"s already on.