Sign in to follow this  

Kx 100 help

I bought a used kx100 and in three and a half races it seized. Finally got around to have a look at it and pulled the top end off(just the top cap of the top end) gave it a gentle kick and it seems to turn over fine piston looks good cylinder wall not scratched doesn't seem to be any funny noise from the bottom end. When i I bought it checked the air filter was clean but dry(no oil) changed the engine oil and it had some weird oil in it Looked like vegetable oil never seen oil look like that before. Any ideas could it heat up again and seize should I just rebuild it all I already bought the parts. I've heard the 100's have a weak bottom end. Could it be the jetting to lean?

Get a manual pull the cylinder and inspect the crank and piston. You'll know where your at and jump into learning this stuff now. Because you'll be doing it over and over if you plan on riding a lot.

Get it apart a few pics and come back here.

I still can't figure out why my 60 siezed, i figured it ran lean but the spark plugs are always dark black, if you ever figure out why yours seized please post why.

1st, buying a used bike and not knowing anything about it or taking the previous owners word for it is a 50/50 chance something is gonna go wrong.

2nd, If it seized but then moves when the head is off, something is mysteriously wrong. You need to get further into it. Rebuilding these little bikes is cake. Read, read, read. There's alot of info spreadout through these forums that can walk you right through any issue you may have. Check the FAQ section above to help with some of the things you may run into.