Sign in to follow this  

Washington Costco Kawasaki pricing

anyone buy their green machine this way?

you pick out or order the bike from the dealer plus any parts or accessories you want at time of purchase. Fill out the costco form and take it to the dealer who supposedly gives you the "special" costco pricing (whatever that is). The parts and acc are discounted 20% and costco kicks you back $250 in the form of a credit card.

Don't know about buying a bike through Costco, but back in 2007 I was looking at their vehicle purchase program.

I got the information and everything else through the website, and went to the dealer.

Before I signed anything, I said that I needed to sleep on it. I went to another dealer and found the exact same truck and negotiated my old way. I got the truck for $100 less than going through Costco.

So I don't know if you would actually save anything. I believe that the discounts are based on full MSRP, and if you do some leg work and are not afraid to walk out the door, you can probably get a similar deal on your own.

I think that the best thing would be that it would in effect be a "no haggle" experience. But for me, the haggling is part of the fun and experience in buying a new vehicle.

Seems to me if there were "pre-arranged" prices then they should be able to provide you with a pricing sheet along with any applicable regional discounts/rebates.

Otherwise, it sounds (to me at least) more like a special price negotiated from full MSRP, maybe with a 5% discount or something. The markup on accessories is incredible. Sometimes more than 100% than wholesale, so getting a 20% discount on those really doesn't hurt the dealer's bottom line any,

They listed, in store, the pricing for a KX250F at like $1200 off (around $6600), which should be about 15%. That was the only price they had listed (and they had the bike sitting there in their tire area, which is what drew me in in the first place)

I logged in on their website to check out pricing on a KLX250 for my wife. Provided my contact info, and within an hour or so got a call from a sales rep with a local Kawa dealer who was with the program.

We had a nice discussion, but the short story is that they DO have a pricelist, but you need to go to the dealer to have him show it to you. Which makes sense, rather than post it as a tool for haggling with your local dealer. Etc. I'll consider going in to talk to them, if my wife decides she likes a KLX.

Then why not have the information available online for those who have a COSTCO membership? Doesn't have to be available to the general public. Who's to say that two different dealers, maybe 30 miles apart, who are both part of the program don't have two different price lists? Who's to say that the individual dealers don't get to create their own price lists?

It just seems to me that if COSTCO had such a great program, then they would make the price list available to any of their members. Put an expiration date on the prices if you want. State that the prices are only good at participating dealers. Whatever you want. There is no need for any local dealer not part of the program to accept your offer. Heck, maybe they would like to become part of the dealer network if that is possible for them.

You can go online and get the price of a specific model refridgerator or plasma TV or computer and then shop around for the best deal or go to one of the big stores with a price match guarantee. How is buying a bike all that much different?

If you use the program and are happy with your results, then my hat is off to you and I hope you feel good enough to do it again. But, why all the secrecy behind their "specially negotiated prices"?

Now $6600 for a new KX250F sounds like a pretty good deal. I really don't ride green, so I don't know if any local dealers have a similar price-point. But I do know that you can find new bikes for considerably less than MSRP if you are willing to do some leg work and not opposed to driving a bit to pick it up.

I have purchased 5 vehicles through Costco, it is easy and fast. I bought my mom a new model car that all the dealerships had $5000 second sticker prices on because every every one had to have it. We got it for several thousand under MSRP, it ended up being 2 or 3 % above invoice. Same story with my wifes SUV. I bought a truck in October after researching the bottom line price and I was happy. I just call the dealer and ask them what the price is and they give it to me over the phone.