Sign in to follow this  

NewJersey Atco for beginners?

Hi guys, locating to NJ early next year, Im a beginner and looking to work on my motox skills, have attempted a few small jumps, etc, the closest track looks to be Atco, I was wondering is this a suitable track for beginners, I know Englishtown has some beginner tracks, but a little over double the drive for me. Really getting discouraged about riding in this state. Thanks in advance!

Zach

I'm in South Jersey and trail ride.This state is one of the worst to ride in,too many tree huggers shut down riding areas.So now we all ride as we please,not really any cops around.I've been to Atco it doesn't look too hard,but saying and doing are 2 different things.My friends went first time out,both got hurt.

I'm in South Jersey and trail ride.This state is one of the worst to ride in,too many tree huggers shut down riding areas.So now we all ride as we please,not really any cops around.

Ive heard some stories about 1000 fines and license issues with trail riding?. Id prefer that over a hour commute to go ride every week, but am willing to do what I need to to keep riding short of 1000 fines and what not (im in the military so cant really deal with that bs). Thanks for the reply.

Blue diamond hour drive in Delaware great track

Its the same distance as englishtown but cheaper, think thats where I'll be heading if I cant find anywhere around here. Im gonna be in the Cherry Hill/Mt. Laurel area.

Yes blue diamond is definately a far better track and choice than atco for a dozen reasons ... Main ones being better track and soil .... Cheaper....better attitude of the crew than the jersey tracks... Well worth the 45 min drive from cherry hill!

Etown is about an hour from where you will be living. I used to live near there.

Do you race? Do you do only mx or also trails? There is the NEOC and ECEA for hare scrambles. I'd go to some races and get to know some people. Once they know you, you'll have an "in" on trail riding. There are lots of trails. You just have to know people. Also, there are some clubs in SJ, like Tri-county and CDR. Try to join or volunteer and you'll get to know people. There is some really great riding in NJ, with a lot of stuff you wouldn't expect. Unfortunately, we've had to go underground because of the laws and BS. But don't give up.

Do you race? Do you do only mx or also trails? There is the NEOC and ECEA for hare scrambles. I'd go to some races and get to know some people. Once they know you, you'll have an "in" on trail riding. There are lots of trails. You just have to know people. Also, there are some clubs in SJ, like Tri-county and CDR. Try to join or volunteer and you'll get to know people. There is some really great riding in NJ, with a lot of stuff you wouldn't expect. Unfortunately, we've had to go underground because of the laws and BS. But don't give up.

Thanks! Do you have any links or contacts for the groups/clubs. Id totally volunteer at this stuff, started on my sport bike, moved to dirt bikes and love it, sold the street bike been investing in this new found hobby. Really enjoy the chill factor involved with trail riding, but would love to learn how to do some cool jumps, track stuff as well. Thanks for all the help!

Do everyone in the offroad community a favor and get a plated dual sport if you plan on doing any riding in NJ outside of moto. Riding illegally is just going to cause more problems for people in the sport, we are still waiting for the state to replace Chatsworth (Old ORVP) and the environmentalists will use anything they can against us. Certain areas down in South NJ have large fines and they will also tack on points to your drivers license if you are caught.

Legally if you run into a cop,they can't chase you because of the danger level supposedly.

You are giving bad advise and have no idea what you are talking about. If you come in contact with a police officer and he waves you over, stop your bike and go see him. In most cases he will just tell you to not ride there. The minute you decide to run, you now went from a simple MV violation to a crime and you will not get any brakes if you are caught. This guy is in the military and does not need problems like that.

Last year I would have said give Atco a chance. I went again this summer and left after walking the track. They used to have mostly tabletops, how it's do or die doubles. The place is called Atco Super-Motocross for a reason. It's a shame the track is no longer fun or safe for me, it's only 45 minutes away.:lol:

www.ecea.org for club and race info. There are several clubs in your future area. SJER and Meteor MC are the closest. Theres also CDR, Tri County, CJCR and OCR. CDR and Tri County are further south in the Millville area. CJCR and OCR are more centrally located. All good clubs with good people. Im in Meteor. As one of the other posters said, a legal bike will open up alot of oppurtunities.

You can roll some of the jumps at Atco. I only did a HS at Blue Diamond, but I want to ride the track, heard it's good. E-town main practice track has some big jumps and to make alot of those you really have to be able to carry cornering speed. The beginner track is safe though.

There used to be some PAL track near AC, don't know if it's there anymore or not.

I live in the same area you will be moving too. I tend to go to blue diamond mostly but when I need to switch it up, I go to Englishtown. Atco is great to go have fun on a friday night practice and its the only place around to ride at night...that said my biggest complaint about Atco is the terrain and the quads. They have a rock hard base with sandy soil thrown over the top and the quads blow out the lines in the corners and you are left with blue groove that has been watered down. The jumps may look intimidating but they are all very easy to clear and they are rollable. Englishtown's practice track is fun but not as fun as Blue Diamond. Englishtown's race track is my favorite track in the area but practices are limited to Wednesdays. Atco's track is changed pretty significantly every year as well...

Here's a youtube vid I found

Think Im gonna start out at blue diamond, maybe consider a lesson or two since ive only been trail riding and not familar with jump and race techniques but really want to learn. Thanks for all the replies.