Sign in to follow this  

Shorty Problem

Well to start off I am a female, 16 and 5'2 my mother and her side of the family barely reach the 5 foot range so I don't think I will be doing much more growing, I currently ride a 01 KX100, It lacks power in the sand but is the perfect seat height for me and is awesome for me in single track. When standing up straight on slow technical trails I feel like I'm leaning over. We have a 2000 CR125 that I have no problem with the power but am intimidated by it because I cannot touch the ground easily at ALL. So I have thought of maybe looking into a KTM 105sx or look into a 125 smoker and lowering it but still not sure if I will get use to the size/weight. Just as a side note sometimes when I ride and stand I feel very uncomfortable on the KX100 It's starting to feel like my previous bikes did when I outgrew them any opinions would be nice

The KTM105 is think is the same seat height as the KX100, so I dont think going this route would do much for you.

My son had this problem but he has grew quite a bite lately! He is 13 and is 5'7 now, he is too big for the KX100 and I got him a CR125. I soften the rear on the 125 and he fits it pretty good now. I think it will really cost a lot to lower a 125.

I would just keep the KX100 and see if you can get more power in the sand from it. Maybe a flywheel weight?

Well to start off I am a female, 16 and 5'2 my mother and her side of the family barely reach the 5 foot range so I don't think I will be doing much more growing, I currently ride a 01 KX100, It lacks power in the sand but is the perfect seat height for me and is awesome for me in single track. When standing up straight on slow technical trails I feel like I'm leaning over. We have a 2000 CR125 that I have no problem with the power but am intimidated by it because I cannot touch the ground easily at ALL. So I have thought of maybe looking into a KTM 105sx or look into a 125 smoker and lowering it but still not sure if I will get use to the size/weight. Just as a side note sometimes when I ride and stand I feel very uncomfortable on the KX100 It's starting to feel like my previous bikes did when I outgrew them any opinions would be nice

how much money do you have to spend to get the 125 lower? A mod that costs nothing is shave the seat. If it still needs a lot more you can send it to a suspension shop to have the suspension lowered and revalved. Also setting the right sag helps drop the bike. Finally theres a linkage and cutting the subframe, I cant comment on either of these though because ive never done them to my bike. Im 5'5'' and getting the suspension revalved, and shaving the seat and setting the sag helped lower the bike so i could almost flat foot both sides

kx125 is probably the next upgrade size, it's smaller than the rest of the 125's, but they are pipey, you can big bore it, if you want a smoother engine that's easier to ride, try a ktm 200 xc or xc-w

my wife is 5'6" and she does ok with the ktm 200 but in the woods a ttr or kx100 is easier for her, but she does not ride very often at all

I would suggest sticking with the CR125 since it is already available to you. There are a few lowering links available for under $150. Try Kouba Links website Here. I had a XR250 when I was twelve so I feel your pain. But once the bike was lowered, I became very comfortable till I grew into the bike.

Good Luck!

The KTM105 is think is the same seat height as the KX100, so I dont think going this route would do much for you.

My son had this problem but he has grew quite a bite lately! He is 13 and is 5'7 now, he is too big for the KX100 and I got him a CR125. I soften the rear on the 125 and he fits it pretty good now. I think it will really cost a lot to lower a 125.

I would just keep the KX100 and see if you can get more power in the sand from it. Maybe a flywheel weight?

The kx is the perfect size for me it just lacks and when I stand I tend to feel hunched over, When I get on the cr I can stand comfortable and handle it fine but it feels a bit like driving a tank :) The reason I'm considering getting a new bike all together is because mine does not have a title and that is a problem where I live. Can't get into any national forests to ride without proof of ownership via title :lol:

how much money do you have to spend to get the 125 lower? A mod that costs nothing is shave the seat. If it still needs a lot more you can send it to a suspension shop to have the suspension lowered and revalved. Also setting the right sag helps drop the bike. Finally theres a linkage and cutting the subframe, I cant comment on either of these though because ive never done them to my bike. Im 5'5'' and getting the suspension revalved, and shaving the seat and setting the sag helped lower the bike so i could almost flat foot both sides

I don't think I'd have the squish to do a re-valve, but does setting the sag really help lower it that much? When riding the 125 I always have to scope out flat land to stop on and get ready because I have to slide all the way off the seat to even get a toe down

kx125 is probably the next upgrade size, it's smaller than the rest of the 125's, but they are pipey, you can big bore it, if you want a smoother engine that's easier to ride, try a ktm 200 xc or xc-w

my wife is 5'6" and she does ok with the ktm 200 but in the woods a ttr or kx100 is easier for her, but she does not ride very often at all

I was thinking the kx125 because it's smaller then the other 125s. That's the thing, my kx100 in single track is perfect but if I'm in the attack position I am very uncomfortable and feel like I'm riding a 50, I think that's the only time I realize the problem because when I ride dunes you are usually leaning back when you are standing to keep the weight off of your front end.

Seat heat for CR125 and KX125 are the same. How about a KDX200, seat heat is in the 36 inch range. Or how about a newer 100cc bike like you were thinking, maybe it would do better in the sand. Good luck with your search!!

Here are two thoughts I had.. #1 what about a 12mm bar riasers for your KX???? ( had a friend build some for my son. Worked great) #2 the gas gas 200 sets about two or three inches shorter than a kx 125. I thought is had been mod'ed but after talking to the kids dad it wasn't.....

keep in mind the ktm 200 got tall in 2008 when they went to the new frame

07 and older feel much smaller and handle tight stuff better imo