Sign in to follow this  

Mikuni pumper idle problems?

I'll check the float level too. Let me see if I have this right... if it's less than 19mm, then there will be more gas than normal in the bowl, right? And if more than 19mm, then less fuel than normal in the bowl.

That's correct.

I'm not sure, as I've dealt with a lot of my own bikes, but for some reason I think I recall that 19mm level given by the Mikuni tuning .pdf seeming to be too much to me. Seemed to need to be less than 19mm. But don't take this as gospel. See what yours measures to be.

I went by the flat float surface being level with the bowl mating surface, and I don't recall if I ever took that measurement.

Sorry for the late response guys. The last time I tried to post, I got a Trojan virus from this site (Windows Security 2012 virus). Anyways, I'm now posting from a Mac :bonk:

My problem turned out to be a partially clogged pilot jet. I torn into her again, and compared the pilot jet with my spare. I used a thin wire to gauge the orifice, and sure enough, it was slightly blocked. I swapped in the spare and now she's idling good again. I just need to tune the fuel mixture since I was messing around with it earlier.

Lesson learned, just freakin' replace the pilot jet next time it's behaving like this. Hopefully the external filter will prevent future issues.

--Ryan

Thanks for the follow up Ryan.

This is the same problem I always run into with mine. I have to use a piece of bread wire to clean out the build up inside of the pilot jet (along with carb cleaner & compressed air)

I have not had any luck with just carb cleaner and compressed air by itself.

Scrape out that old jet and keep it for next time... :bonk:

Perc