Sign in to follow this  

1975 Suzuki TS250M front axel problems.

HI folks.

Hope one of you can help me out with an assembly problem I've got.

It appears that the RHS fork has nothing to butt up against when tightening the axel nut.

The LHS has a spacer the same width as the bottom of the fork which allows the fork to be held captive between the axel end and the brake hub assy. Fine!

But the RHS has a spacer that is wider than the fork and this spacer butts up against another spacer that goes into the wheel hub. This leaves about 3/4" of space between the inside of the fork leg and the wheel hub. Do you guys have any photos of your assy to give me some idea what has gone wrong.

I have a Haynes manual but it is like the Suzuki parts fiche, a bit to vague to determine exactly what’s going on.

I am assuming that the fork leg is supposed to be held between the nut and another fixed part.

Any help is much appreciated. :lol:

Cheers.

Try switching the spacers around from one side to the other, quite possibly you have them mismatched for the wrong side. Put the wheel and brake panel in place without any spacers, insert the axle and center the wheel between the fork legs. then hold up the spacers and see which ones fit best on which side. Reassemble the wheel with the spacers, tighten the axle and see what the end result is.

Just my $.02

Thanks dirtbkr188, I gave that a try but it causes both forks to have clearance between the inner fork leg and anything solid.

Anyone got a 1975 250M they could get a couple of photos of either side of their working front axel setup.

I only obtained the bike earlier this year and have restored it over the past few months, which is why I am not familiar with what should be there or even if all the correct bits were there when I got it. :lol:

Thanks again folks! :)

Alpha-Sports.com shows a wider spacer, part # 32 on the RHS of the wheel assembly than the LHS spacer, part # 21 in the diagram under 1975 TS250 wheel section, http://www.alpha-sports.com/suzuki_parts.htm

This should be correct as long as all of the internal bearings and spacers are used on the wheel/brake plate assembly. I hope this helps. Mike

To satisfy my own curiosity, sometimes, the OEM part numbers can be a clue to the size of the part.

Part #21 - 09180-15037 - LH Spacer - possibly 37mm long?

Part #22 - 09180-15018 - spacer - possibly 18mm long?

Part #32 - 09180-15035 - spacer - possibly 35mm long?

I'd also venture a guess at the axle size being 15mm, due to the 15 being in all three numbers. Edit: It is a 15mm axle, both of the front wheel bearings have 15mm ID. Part #26 - (08113-60020) is a 6002 bearing that measures 15 x 32 x 9, Part #27 - (08143-62020) is a 6202 bearing that measures 15 x 35 x 11.

The microfiche also shows a dust seal cover (Part #23 - 54892-33000), are you missing that?

I have checked the spacer dimensions and they are the same as your suspicions regarding the part numbers, with the exception of No:22 which is 22mm long.

If these part numbers relate to the dimensions then it would appear that I have the spacers on the wrong side. But if I swap them around then there would be a space on the LHS.

I have attached a couple of photo's of the present setup. The blurred pic shows the LHS fork held captive between the axel end and the brake drum. The other pic shows what I am concerned about.

Any more thoughts would be appreciated. :lol:

Cheers

DSCI0074.jpg

DSCI0075.jpg