Sign in to follow this  

improving the shock on ´10 RMZ 450?

im about to do my first oil change on a shock. it has 80 hours on it. should probably have been done earlier, but i never knew how...

while i have it of the bike, is there anything i can improve inside? i like the way my bike handles, but im sure things could be better. im vet-B racing MX.

on sand, im at max on LSC, but dont feel the need for more, so i guess im ok? or? and how about blue-printing the inside, would i benefit from that?

any advice?

have you got the tools to do the showa? they are a pain.

i have no special tools available. this would be the first time i ever take a shock apart. the oil change looks simple, according to the manual.

maybe i can make the tools needed?

but i gotta learn sometime. :lol:

do lots of research into the 10 showa on this forum

, you need to buy a tool to stop you ripping the x ring and learn how to remove the peening correctly on the shaft ( hardest peening to remove of any shock IMO) then learn how to fully bleed it

a search didnt really help.

but all the things you mention are only nessecary if i have a reason to take the shock apart. :lol:

otherwise, i´ll just change the oil for now.

you need the tool to remove the piston from shock! if you dont have it you can t take off the piston and change the bushing.after 80 hours you need change it

and learn how to remove the peening correctly on the shaft ( hardest peening to remove of any shock IMO)

Ain't that the truth mog:thumbsup: Plus you can't find the right size and thread pitch nuts anywhere around here that I know of. I've got the right size tap & die for them but if most of the threads are gone it doesn't matter.

doc

i think the suzuki manual shows just changing the oil thru the comp adj,i think thats what he means.not totally disassembly and valving changes.

i think the suzuki manual shows just changing the oil thru the comp adj,i think thats what he means.not totally disassembly and valving changes.

exactly.

and i think thats what ill do. it does sound like a disassembly is not worth the trouble as long as the shock is doing ok

thanks all.

Just depends on how good you want the job to be. In my shop everything is always torn completely down, inspected & built as well as I can....

doc