Sign in to follow this  

2012 MXA shootout

Once again MXA bagged the Honda and placed it fourth. I knew months ago Kawasaki was going to win it because all MXA is worried about is the power of the motor. Just shy of 40 hp, The Kawasaki is pottent but that isn't everything.

Once again MXA bagged the Honda and placed it fourth. I knew months ago Kawasaki was going to win it because all MXA is worried about is the power of the motor. Just shy of 40 hp, The Kawasaki is pottent but that isn't everything.

was that from their magazine? in their last tests i always thought they were being a little harsh on the honda, and i agree that motor isnt everything, but on a 250 it is more important

I have only had a chance to look at the Racer X shootout, and almost all the testers said the bike handled very well, dispite whether they felt it lacked power. I need to check out the MXA one this weekend sometime.

They are all awesome bikes. I havent ridden a 2012 Yami but im sure its wicked. Now a days you cant go wrong with any of them. MXA is one of the mags that im not so sure about. I like the product tests but the bike tests always seem a bit out to lunch, like when they dont like a bike they bash it hard. And ron makes a great point, Kawasakis bikes are not even under 94db. Honda is the quietest. Obv restricting a bike is gonna lose a bit of power. And you have to appreciate what honda is doing because so many places are shut down due to sound regulations. I choose handling over motor personally but agree with you guys motor is def more important in the 250f class. The honda 450 i think placed close to last too. Oh well.

OH Man! I hate reading the shootout reports...... I just got over a cold and now I'm sick AGAIN.

Chet

MXA did acknowledge that the Honda is very quiet. They did also say that an aftermarket exhaust system would help the bike a lot. MXA is on the Kawi and PC train these days.

The way to win mxa is to fix what they complain about the year before, if a company works on fixing the problems that mxa complained about they will win.

Mxa will talk about the power kawi. has but don't count against it because of how loud it is and then count against the honda for not having as much power knowing it is because of the quite exhaust. You would think as long as mxa has been around and as smart as they act that they would know how to change a few shims around in a suspension that is alittle harsh but the only fix they can come up with is turn the rebound out and drain oil out of the forks. lol they are good for a few laughs.

Even though I'm a Honda guy. It still comes down to the rider, and really all the bikes are really good. Pick your color and what you like. Big part of the decision is about your dealer too and if they're helping you out. Some decide based on the contingency program and what areas they're racing in with the most contingency money.

The way to win mxa is to fix what they complain about the year before, if a company works on fixing the problems that mxa complained about they will win.

Mxa will talk about the power kawi. has but don't count against it because of how loud it is and then count against the honda for not having as much power knowing it is because of the quite exhaust. You would think as long as mxa has been around and as smart as they act that they would know how to change a few shims around in a suspension that is alittle harsh but the only fix they can come up with is turn the rebound out and drain oil out of the forks. lol they are good for a few laughs.

The whole reason for the shootouts is to compare stock vs stock. If they messed with anything more than adjusting oil levels and clickers then these bikes would not be stock anymore, get it?

I'd like to see a tidtid shootout...

Why is that??

Better components. The whole thing about riding a Kawi is well...after 2hrs they don't look as good and you are probably missing some bolts.

Pick a color they are all very equal, other than the way they feel when you sit on them they are almost identical.

The whole reason for the shootouts is to compare stock vs stock. If they messed with anything more than adjusting oil levels and clickers then these bikes would not be stock anymore, get it?

I'd like to see a tidtid shootout...

the shim thing was just to show how silly mxa is. Like i said in the other part it seems they take away from a bike because it is not as powerful as the other because they used a quite exhaust but don't take anything away from the one that is the most powerful and may not even pass the sound test. If all bikes came with opened up exhaust they would all run better. Then in other articles they act like it's a sin to take the defuser out of a crf250x because it makes them alittle louder but runs much better. They are wishy washy. i remember back when the tested 2 strokes the cr250 would get nailed on vibration. Back then i had cr250 and they did virbrate but every ktm i rode made me happy mine only vibed as much as it did but they never said anything about the ktm vibrating.

Even with MXA's quirks, I still trust them over anyone else. TWMX is useless, and RacerX should just continue what they have always done in the past.